2007 XLT 4x4, Replaced battery not the radio wont work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dffans

Reaction score
Help. I recently replaced my battery, as it was old and tired. After i installed the new battery, my truck starts up great, but the radio does not work. I checked the fuses under the kick panel, and they are all good. i checked power behind the radio (it is after market unit i installed 5 years ago and it worked fine until the battery change). The radio is getting constant 12v power (yellow wire). The radio is not getting power via the switched power wire (red).

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While checking the fuses did you determine if they have power? If you didn't, see the sticky in the electrical section on checking fuses.

OP
OP
D

dffans

Reaction score
I looked for a left out wire at the battery terminals, all positive and negative wires at battery are bolted together. They are all attached and i tested for power/conductivity and all are good.

With the ignition key turned on but motor not running, i back probed all fuses with a multi-meter. all fused except one read 12 volts on both sides of the fuses.

The 5 amp fuse #28 in the kick panel has NO power on either side of the fuse. i pulled the fuse and tested the fuse and it is good. This fuse is listed "Radio" in the Owners Guide" i think i am getting closer

Any ideas why this fuse does not have power? is there a switch or relay somewhere that turns on/flips when you turn on the ignition?

any other ideas

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going from memory. . . the fuse in question should be in the smart junction box. Ford will use a circuit board and/or a busbar to power the fuses. Time to open that baby up and see what is going on inside or add an external ato fuse holder for that circuit.
There is a battery saver relay on older models but I think you would notice other components not working. I'll look at the diagrams tonight and see how they wired it.

Mike Thomas

Reaction score
I have the same problem with circuit # 28 no power to 5amp fuse. Did dffans figure out the problem or stamp11127 have any advice. I have 08 expedition EB. I’m not sure where this is powered from fuse is good. Thank you