2008 EL, 5.4L engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it is not an exhaust leak? Mine ticks as well, I have a small crack in my passenger side manifold. I also had busted manifold studs on the driverside that caused a tick, I had the studs and manifold replaced. Sometimes the tick is more pronounced, like at start up...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is not an exhaust leak? Mine ticks as well, I have a small crack in my passenger side manifold. I also had busted manifold studs on the driverside that caused a tick, I had the studs and manifold replaced. Sometimes the tick is more pronounced, like at start up...

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read the symptoms, a leaky exhaust manifold gasket, doesn’t sound engine related to me. If it’s a smaller leak and you can live with the tick there really isn’t any consequence to you leaving it alone.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was thinking, a leaky exhaust manifold gasket. Doesn’t sound engine related to me, if it is the manifold gasket and you can live with the tick when cold there is no consequence to you leaving it alone.
Till it gets worse... Mine got pretty bad so I finally did it.

Its sounds like this could be his issue though

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Till it gets worse... Mine got pretty bad so I finally did it.

Its sounds like this could be his issue though

Sometimes it stays a minor leak and at bay for a long time, only showing strongly at startup and on occasion running. Other times it doesn’t and gets worse fast like in your case. If mine go south this is a job I’d pay to have done....no interest in getting the bloody knuckles lol.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Sometimes it stays a minor leak and at bay for a long time, only showing strongly at startup and on occasion running. Other times it doesn’t and gets worse fast like in your case. If mine go south this is a job I’d pay to have done....no interest in getting the bloody knuckles lol.
It's really not that bad but you gotta be patient with it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey gixer how come if they exist nobody's ever mentioned them or used them? What's the trade-off? They must Rob a bunch of HP or something weird. I've been here 4 years, and never heard of anybody using them. What's the downside? It's got to be something bad, or members would use them. Do you lose over 50 horsepower or more! Maybe that's why.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Hey gixer how come if they exist nobody's ever mentioned them or used them? What's the trade-off? They must Rob a bunch of HP or something weird. I've been here 4 years, and never heard of anybody using them. What's the downside? It's got to be something bad, or members would use them. Do you lose over 50 horsepower or more! Maybe that's why.

The only downside I know of is fuel economy. I've never used them and really never intend to but knew they existed so I put them up.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know. Maybe someone here on the forum can chime in on how they worked out on their vehicle.