2008 EL, 5.4L engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey gixer how come if they exist nobody's ever mentioned them or used them? What's the trade-off? They must Rob a bunch of HP or something weird. I've been here 4 years, and never heard of anybody using them. What's the downside? It's got to be something bad, or members would use them. Do you lose over 50 horsepower or more! Maybe that's why.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Reportedly, there is some loss of power at the top end. It will throw codes as well, though I read a number of posts stating that if you just leave them in memory the truck will run fine. The alternative would be a tune. Finally, there's the work involved in doing it which goes a bit beyond the general scope of shadetree mechanic work in terms of the time investment. :p

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess if you get tired of replacing those danged things, that's an option when it's apart. If people that owned or own our trucks would quit being cheap and lazy and just change the oil and filter every 4-5 k, this wouldn't even be an issue. I did oil change last Sunday, took all of 15 minutes, and I watched oil drip!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maintenance is key. Personally I wouldn’t lock out the phasers and sacrifice the VCT.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Mine ticked due to a broken exhaust manifold stud. It did it cold or under heavy throttle. When it was warm, it went away. This is a known Ford issue. Its covered under the 8yr/80K emission warranty. Get down by each front tire and listen, right after its cold started.

Last edited:

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It all goes back to how you maintain your ride, cutting right to the chase go to this video below and NOTE how SMALL / FINE THE SCREEN IS at the 4:00 minute mark and people who think they can get away doing LONG oil changes like in the old day getting their engines slugged up will be in the shop spending WAY more money in the long run than they would by doing a 5000 mile or less oil change , There's no way in hell dirty oil will pass through a screen that FINE , .

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now IF your the type of person who neglect's your ride watch this video and seem what happens, Ford 5.4L 3v Engine Noises You Shouldn’t Ignore: How To Tell When a Timing Job is Really Needed, .

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ultimate 5.4L 3v Triton Engine UPGRADE: New Melling M340HV, 60 PSI & M360HV 80 PSI High Volume Oil Pumps! BOTH with a cast Iron backing plate instead of the crap aluminum plate ford uses, .

Rosco

Reaction score
I have the same engine in my 2004 F150. Usually ticks when the engine is warmed up. Had a mechanic check it out a few years ago and was told it is a characteristic of the engine. He said it is the timing phasers and also suggested to use the lighter weight oil.