2008 Exp XLT wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxCamper9

Reaction score
I'm having trouble locating an engine wiring harness for my 2008 Expedition XLT. The dealer said it would take 6 months to get one. They said due to covid many of their suppliers went out of business when they were shut down by their state. The harness was the issue I was most worried about on the vehicle due to it becoming brittle and several of the connectors breaking over the years.

Anyone aware of a supplier that I can get this from. The dealer cost is of course very high.

My wife wants to get the Expedition back up and running. Since it seats 8 it has been greatly missed. Other than not currently running due to the harness or computer issue it is in good condition.

Thanks.
Mark

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
While it would be nice to replace a harness with brittle connectors, I doubt the problem you are having is in the harness unless it was affected by fire or rodents, and then the damage would be visible. It's unlikely that a harness in these trucks would become inoperable after 15 years.

If it is damaged, repair the bad part, or look for a better one in a junk yard.

Why do you believe the harness is keeping the truck from running?

OP
OP
TxCamper9

TxCamper9

Reaction score
After doing a complete timing job and putting the vehicle back together it would not start. Had a Ford tech stop by the house and he checked it out saying most likely wiring harness or PCM. The engine only turned and did not start. No codes.

Towed it to a local shop and they had it for a few weeks and same, wiring harness or possibly the PCM.

Towed to Ford dealer in Houston. They said the same and I was told due to supply issues it could be 6 months or more to get a replacment harness and or PCM.

The harness was not chewed up and I did use harness tape on it to secure and protect it while i had the engine opened for the timing job. The harness was quite brittle in places, and was always my worry with the vehicle. My F350 diesel truck, which runs cooler, is not having that issue.

I would just like to know if anyone knows of a supplier that I can order the harness from myself and possibly save time. The vehicle is needed at home.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't help.

If it truly is the harness, the offending connector can be fixed. The reason you can't find one is that they are never changed on 13 year old cars unless they catch on fire.

Silly to change a $1800 harness when the problem can be the $2000 PCM. Or maybe it's a $6 plug, or a $5 ground wire.

The proper diagnostics will get you a realistic answer.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was it up on ramps during the timing chain work ? Check the fuel safety inertia switch in the left rear quarter panel in the cargo area. Push the red button down to reset it. Happens all the time. Crank no start after timing job. Your engine harness didn't accidently go bad after a timing job. Make sure the crank sensor is in fact plugged in. Get a new mechanic.

OP
OP
TxCamper9

TxCamper9

Reaction score
I had checked the fuel cut off switch when I did the job, I wish that would have been the issue. I have fuel, just no spark. Two prior mechanics looked at it prior to the Ford dealer. All have said the same, harness or computer. The current tech believes the harness may have shorted and caused the computer to go bad. When the reader is hooked up it does show the sensors are working on the crankshaft and cams.

OP
OP
TxCamper9

TxCamper9

Reaction score
I'm about to get it towed back home, at least it won't be sitting at the dealer in the sun waiting 6 months for parts. I don't want the new tires and battery, paint etc to be damaged by it just sitting outside. I'm really fed up with the entire issue. I had to buy the wife another vehicle until I can get her favorite Expedition fixed.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Get a mechanic who can troubleshoot your problem properly. A harness, if you need one can be easily and inexpensively repaired by a qualified guy. After any harness problems are found and corrected, you can tackle the PCM, though that usually sets a code and seldom fails completely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjtehan