2008 Expedition - MS-CAN bus findings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm totally deflated. So for about a month I have been working on an iPad implementation that would retain the factory head unit and allow control of it over the CAN bus in the truck. Unfortunately, I don't think the radio has complete CAN implementation. After scanning the bus, there is a ticker message that says "radio in XXXX mode" but nothing else that I can find. So when mode changes, this notification changes. But button presses on the stereo don't go across the CAN bus. Also, the steering wheel controls don't use the CAN bus as far as I can tell, so I can't even get that part working with it.

*sigh* not the end of the world, but dang... I gotta do something different now.

OP
OP
J

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Second thought. What if the codes are not broadcast from the stereo (not sure why they would be), but can be broadcast TO the stereo? I dunno. Trying to save my project.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a great project youre working on there... Dont give up... Do you know or can you find out from a Ford tech if their Scan software is able to control the radio? Maybe they can offer you a clue!