2008 Issues!!! HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As dan said change the fluid and filter. My Explorer always told me when the tranny filter had to be changed because it shuttered into overdrive. It would almost delay and then clunk into O/D and shake the whole truck when it shifted.

OP
OP
J

Jarmo

Reaction score
Well gentlemen, that seems to be a cheaper option that an entire tranny replacement. I may try it and see what happens.

I will keep you posted.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What month was your 2008 built? 2007's and early 08's benefited from a software update, including the bump stopping. Ask your Ford dealer whats involved with TSB 07-14-2. Understand its a TSB, not a recall, so any software/firmware updates will be at a cost.

AAMCO is an acronym for All Automatics Must Come Out. Not the best of reputations.

OP
OP
J

Jarmo

Reaction score
The door sticker says 11/07. If i provide the vin does someone know if they can see if it was updated?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like your locking torque converter clutches are slipping. If a fluid change with the correct fluid doesn't cure it, you're in for at least a new TC.

Druid

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2007 Expedition with just under 100k. Not long after I got it I started to experience shuddering during acceleration as well. On one occasion I also saw the CEL come on, then go off shortly after. Took it to a mechanic right after the CEL and found that no codes had been stored. His next question was whether the plugs were original, which they were. Said it was very likely a bad plug or plugs (possibly a coil pack) and that a brief misfire (hesitation/stuttering) did not always cause a code to be logged. A second mechanic made exactly the same diagnosis, with no prompting from me. After changing the plugs and coils packs, the problem disappeared. Stress tested by towing 3600# across the Sierra Nevadas and Great Basin.

This doesn't explain the fact that your problem goes away with the overdrive off, but perhaps a contributing factor? Unfortunately I don't remember if having the O/D on or accelerating at a particular RPM made a difference.

OP
OP
J

Jarmo

Reaction score
That's excellent advise. I maybe a newby but what's a cel?

Again Ford told me they think it's a torque converter and while i am there to do the tranny. To save cost was all.