2008 Power Steering Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeamChief2008

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a eddie bauer made 7 July 2008 that has a power steering leak. I've looked for a schematic that shows the system and identifies componets in the system but have been unsuccessful in my findings. Initially i was filling up the reservoir every two weeks, then every week now its everyday. The fan has sprayed the fluids so bad that I can tell where it's leaking by looking for wetness and theres no obvious spraying. I don't even know which hose is pressure and which one is return. can someone please give me some help..

Thanks,
mechanix08

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's that bad it should be pretty obvious with the engine running. There shouldn't be much to it. It has a rack and pinion set up. So there aren't many hoses to check.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TeamChief2008

Reaction score
I filled up the reservoir and had my son turn the steering wheel for 30 minutes and not one drop. I also took it to the car wash and sprayed it down. I then filled back up the reservoir and drove it back home. Still couldn't spot the leak. It seems like it's only leaking when you drive it. Also I know this is a crazy question, but does the fluid run thru the A/C Condenser on this model.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power steering is separate from the a/c. Most pwr str leaks will be at hoses, fittings and seals. Check the reservoir clamp for looseness.

OP
OP
T

TeamChief2008

Reaction score
I'm thinking that because it doesn't leak when it's parked, engine running and steering wheel turning that it could be either a power steering return line or the condenser..

OP
OP
T

TeamChief2008

Reaction score
stamp, on my model there's two return lines on the right side of the condenser. one travels over to the steering reservoir and the other travels to the rack and pinion. I have ruled out the rack and pinion/power steering pump so far. they were both bone dry.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Squeeze the bellows on either end of the rack. Mustangs are known to have seals go bad in the rack and fill the bellows. Might be what happened here.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

david_jr

Reaction score
Since there was no resolution to this thread in 3 years I would like to jump on and ask a question about my 08 Limited with 79K original miles. I have a pretty bad power steering leak, at least now I do. I am doing brakes and other simple repairs, but nervous about this. I first noticed the leak a couple months ago when I started up the truck after my son had been driving it and I heard it whining. I checked the PS and it was a bit low so I filled it up. The whining stopped, but after a few days the pump was low again and I could see fluid on my gravel driveway, but couldn't really get a good look at where it was coming from. So I had an oil change appointment coming up at the Ford dealer on June 20 and I asked them to check the leak while it was in. They called me at work and told me that it needed a new PS pump, new pressure lines, new return lines and a new steering rack and it would be $4000. I of course nearly fainted from that news. I asked if all of those things absolutely had to be replaced because I am not able to deal with that figure. He said he would call me back. He called me back about 20 minutes later and said that he spoke to the tech and I could probably get away without replacing the rack so the bill would only be $2100. He said it would be ready by the end of the next day. The next day I called in the afternoon they said the parts just came in and they would be working on it and it would be ready the next day. The next day this is now June 22, They call me and tell me that they got the parts, but Ford sent the wrong pressure line and so they checked for the proper pressure line and it is nationally backordered and they cannot complete the repair without it. They said that I had to pick up the truck, pay for the parts and then when the correct part comes in I bring it back and they install and I pay for the install then. So I picked up the truck, paid $1500 and took the truck home where it sat in my driveway for a week while I was away on vacation. When I returned, I took the truck out where I was doing some carpentry work and had all my tools in the back and this was about 20 miles from my house. When I got there I noticed that the power steering was whining again and I checked the fluid and it was almost empty. There was fluid all over inside the engine and radiator. I filled it up before I left to go home. On the way home about half way I noticed the whining again and again stopped to fill the reservoir. I got home and parked the truck and it hasn't moved since. Looking under it you can see fluid everywhere and it is noticeably leaking at the hose connections. Clearly it is leaking worse now that the dealer took it apart. I did not hear back from the dealer again since I paid the $1500 and took my truck so last Tuesday, July 11th, I called to see what the story is and if they can't get the part can we have it made, use aftermarket or even used if we have to? Same rep I had been dealing with tells me he will check on it and get back to me. Today is the 19th and I still have not received a call back and I think this is outrageous and my truck is sitting in my driveway leaking as we speak. I am getting quite upset about this and am looking for suggestions on how to proceed. thank you very much for listening.