2008 six speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can a 2008 Expedition six speed transmission need rebuild and not have any codes?

OP
OP
jimz

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ruff shifting when cold and only under hard acceleration. Warms up and drives great. Had codes checked and motor or trans have no codes. Light pedal and shifts OK. Hard acceleration is jerky and engine RPM will not increase. It is like motor is being held down and shifting is ruff and jerky.

OP
OP
jimz

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only other problem has been the radio. CD player ran until it killed battery, with no CD in it.

Spooky.

Forgot to say mileage is only 57,500

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the odd shifting when cold, I’d live with it and not worry too much. Just drive it easy until it warms up. Has the transmission fluid and filter ever been changed? As far as engine feeling like it’s held down doesn’t sound like a transmission issue....if the RPMs won’t increase something is wrong with engine operation. Sometimes when a misfire is present it won’t throw a code, could be other things.... drive by wire malfunction? I’m sure others will chime in who can offer more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jimz

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, but I tow a travel trailer and need car to run as it should. Dangerous on highway if it fails in front of traffic.

If, when the shifting acts up, I hold the accelerator down it will make motor misfire, eventually. No warning lights, no codes makes it seem electrical to me, but I am not a mechanic. Are there tests for the onboard computers that are different from other mechanical code readers?

Thanks for your reply.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Thanks, but I tow a travel trailer and need car to run as it should. Dangerous on highway if it fails in front of traffic.

If, when the shifting acts up, I hold the accelerator down it will make motor misfire, eventually. No warning lights, no codes makes it seem electrical to me, but I am not a mechanic. Are there tests for the onboard computers that are different from other mechanical code readers?

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure its not misfiring to begin with causing your whole issue? Misfires are a pretty common thing in these motors and often get confused with transmission issues.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Misfires are a pretty common thing in these motors and often get confused with transmission issues.

Yep. Thats where I'd start looking. Plugs and coils first, then check fuel pressure/flow at WOT to make sure you're getting enough fuel.

OP
OP
jimz

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure its not misfiring to begin with causing your whole issue? Misfires are a pretty common thing in these motors and often get confused with transmission issues.

Yes, I'm sure no misfire to begin with. And, wouldn't misfiring plugs give a computer code number? There are no computer problem codes.

OP
OP
jimz

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. Thats where I'd start looking. Plugs and coils first, then check fuel pressure/flow at WOT to make sure you're getting enough fuel.

The fuel pump should give error code also, shouldn't it? No code for fuel problem.