2010 Expy EL Noise while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10expysilver

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expy EL Limited 4wd. While driving steady a loud metal clanging noise starts. No change in engine feel or drive-ability. Starts at about 1200 rpm to 1600 rpm. If I try and accelerate past this rpm it does not happen. If it starts and I let of pedal it stops. If I accelerate once it starts it continues making the noise. Sounds like metal nuts in a tin can sound. Happens at speeds between 25 to 80 mph. I took it to someone and they could not determine what it is. He tried in 4wd Hi and AWD and happened in both(was raining thats why he put in 4WD to test). Any ideas??? Truck runs great other than the noise. It also happens in Tow/Haul mode.
TIA

Here is a video of the noise hopefully this link works. too large to upload video.

https://storage.de.cloud.ovh.net/v1...42ef81047aebdd997&temp_url_expires=1600117575

Reaction score
Couldn't get your link to work, but from what you describe, I had the same sound a few years ago. Try checking the band clamps around your catalytic converters heat shield. When looking at them they don't look loose or look like the are falling off, but they are loose and when you hit a certain speed, there is enough air flow that will silence the shield rattling. At low speeds there is enough engine vibration that it will sound like a tin can with rocks in it.

It is worth a look, let me know what you find.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expy EL Limited 4wd. While driving steady a loud metal clanging noise starts. No change in engine feel or drive-ability. Starts at about 1200 rpm to 1600 rpm. If I try and accelerate past this rpm it does not happen. If it starts and I let of pedal it stops. If I accelerate once it starts it continues making the noise. Sounds like metal nuts in a tin can sound. Happens at speeds between 25 to 80 mph. I took it to someone and they could not determine what it is. He tried in 4wd Hi and AWD and happened in both(was raining thats why he put in 4WD to test). Any ideas??? Truck runs great other than the noise. It also happens in Tow/Haul mode.
TIA

Here is a video of the noise hopefully this link works. too large to upload video.

https://storage.de.cloud.ovh.net/v1...42ef81047aebdd997&temp_url_expires=1600117575
Link didn't work

Thom

Reaction score
IMG_20201025_154646983.jpg I have this issue on my 2014 with the heat shield noise. I am going to get under there today and check if it is in the same place as shown by the FordTech guy. Hope so - looks like easy fix.
Update: It was the band that broke around the heat shield as described above. Simple fix with a 2 3/4 hose clamp. No more rattle.

Last edited: