2010 Expy Horror Story - Content warning not for the squeamish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in the SF Bay, so we don't get any snow here (but we drive into the Sierras during winter a few times a year), but we have a 2006 Honda Pilot and a 2005 Lexus LS430, and it looks no where close to what you have. That is surprising.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Admit I'm wrong?? Look, the damage on that vehicle appears to have occurred over a period of at least 5 years. Not like it occurred between oil changes. You must have bought it used from a person who had that in salt water weekly.

You paid for an Oil Change performed by a kid who probably worked at McD's a week before he changed your oil. Was this your first oil change on that truck? It would seem that a few people saw that condition in the trucks life. Like the guy who rotated your tires, the guy who did your brake change out, previous oil changes and so on. More importantly is the one person who should have been aware of the deteriorating condition of their vehicle. Know who that person is? YOU!! You screwed up by not paying attention and trying to save a buck.

As for your statement I can't "admit when I'm wrong". Well , it would be laughable if it weren't so sad. Remember those are pictures of your truck, not mine.

So in summary your opinion seems to be:

I (as a lay person) brought my car to a business that is licensed and advertises safety inspections and the fact they they missed this obvious problem is my fault.

You seem very smart.

Last edited:

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Andy B here. Most of us would rather service our own vehicles and thus would have spotted this type of issue long before it became dangerous. This isn't true for the public in general, most of whom may never look underneath their vehicle and would rely on the people who do oil changes, tire rotations and brake jobs.

Sure, the guy doing the oil change at the quick oil change place may have worked at McDonald's last week and may be stocking shelves at the grocery store next week. But for the majority of the public this is the only opportunity to spot such damage and most of these places do advertise a safety inspection.

That said I am certainly glad I don't live where vehicles rot like that!

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So in summary your opinion seems to be:

I (as a lay person) brought my car to a business that is licensed and advertises safety inspections and the fact they they missed this obvious problem is my fault.

You seem very smart.
Don't claim to be very smart, although I do have common sense. Luckily I no longer live in New England so I won't be subject to your weapon falling apart anywhere near me or my family. Good luck!

JimR_TN

Reaction score
The one time you like that annual state inspection

I wonder if that is why it is primarily the NE US that requires these inspections. We have some ragged cars and trucks around here but I've seen a truck pulled out of a river after years that didn't have rust like that. That road salt just eats up that metal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire