2010 Expy - Ticking noise and check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Keep in mind the phasers are controlled by oil pressure sent from the VTC solenoid and it's possible your pressure loss is due to a junk phaser spewing oil. I personally would do a full timing setup with a mellings oil pump before I'd put an engine in there.

It's also pretty common for the VTC to get stuck and cause this issue so might be worth starting there.

If your having a mechanic do the work then I understand going straight to a new motor but VTC solenoids and phasers aren't that bad of a job. Both can be done but just pulling the valve cover and they sell a wedge to hold the timing set in place so you don't disturb your timing position.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A new suv/pickup sounds like the smart way to go. Let's hope your Dealer doesn't read our forum! Good luck. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Yeah, I def don't have the time/tools/garage to try and replace parts on this bad boy. I have already spent too much time on fixing multiple things with this truck and a 15-17 with low miles looks pretty good about now.

RE: the mechanic. I'm not sure if his words were this engine was garbage but he basically had the same understanding as me if we do a full timing job, and the rest we still are not sure this won't happen to me when I am remote.

I will prob post in the next gen forum to find what I should target looking for a 15-17. Locally I am mainly seeing EL XLT's but some of them seem to have Bluetooth/NAV and towing package.

OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
A new suv/pickup sounds like the smart way to go. Let's hope your Dealer doesn't read our forum! Good luck. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Most of us in MN are wiped out from the big Vikings loss with the chance to play at home for the Super Bowl so it shouldn't be an issue. The truck is running great and could probably be fixed for good by someone with time on their hands and knowledge of this engine.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All, I'm back as I found a mechanic I trust to track down this noise and check engine light. It was hard to follow all of the information he went through but basically 7 trouble codes said low oil pressure on top end of engine. The damn truck runs great but when I pull my Ice House sometimes the noise above happens and trips the codes and the codes clear as when I drive it normally it runs great.

Well he got the truck to act up while testing and foudn the oil pressure at 15 when ford spec is over 28 and could do a top end but recommends a new engine as he notes this 3v is pretty much garbage.

So I will go through the numbers tomorrow with him and options but I imagine like 8k for new Ford engine so i am leaning to trade this bad boy back in to the dealership that sold it to me for a 2016 Ecoboost.

Just wanted to check back in and see what you guys thought about the newer Ecoboost vs a new engine in this one or even an option of putting in a salvaged vehicle engine.

Thanks, I have learned so much on this site and we are leaning to stay with an Expy EL as we don't love the new Suburbans and they cost too damn much anyway.

That went drastic fast.... one guy with a vested interest in selling you on a big project says "this engine just kinda sucks", and you're already in engine swap mode?

Do you do you own oil? Any chance some JiffyLubetard poured in dino 20w50 "cuz that's what all trucks run on"???

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I def don't have the time/tools/garage to try and replace parts on this bad boy. I have already spent too much time on fixing multiple things with this truck and a 15-17 with low miles looks pretty good about now.

RE: the mechanic. I'm not sure if his words were this engine was garbage but he basically had the same understanding as me if we do a full timing job, and the rest we still are not sure this won't happen to me when I am remote.

I will prob post in the next gen forum to find what I should target looking for a 15-17. Locally I am mainly seeing EL XLT's but some of them seem to have Bluetooth/NAV and towing package.

There is no net gen forum covering 15-17's, what you're describing is the 3G Faclelifted Ecoboost (or Gen 3.5)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition