2011 4 low wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Just an FYI to everyone, i fixed the thread title...its a 2011 not a 2013.

Joesjunglegym

Reaction score
Wow, I had to do a double-take because I am experiencing the exact same thing. I bought my Expedition (2011, XLT) two weeks ago, has 106k miles, and flashes the same wrench/check 4x4 message when shifting into 4 low. I took it to the summit of Mauna Kea in Hawaii (14k) and when coming back down, it was obvious the 4 low was not working. I ended up putting it in 4A and was going about 22 mph down a steep gravel road (4 low was going a.m. a.m.out the same speed). I used a friend's expensive OBD ll reader and it gave me a P1867 code (transmission transfer case contact plate general circuit failure).

If you find a solution, I would appreciate an update!

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Ive not investigated further(need to wait for better weather and dry ground as is wont fit in my bros garage and lift) nor even checked for codes but given what you found and posted it appears to me that one should start with the connector as a possible issue (electrical).
When i get under there, will likely check the connector, and remove the shift motor to check it out before i try replacing it.
Also several vids i found.

I see in the vids there is an apparent adjustment that could be made but until i can test the motor i wont be playing with any adjustments.

Last edited: