2011 Expedition Whistling Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwen01

Reaction score
I've got a 2011 Expedition with 80,000 miles. All stock. There's a faint whistling sound only after I turn the engine off and it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from-under the hood or under the middle of the truck. The kicker is that the sound can last up to 3-4 hours after I turn the engine off-even if I disconnect the battery! Dealer says everything is fine and no codes. Please help! This is driving me nuts and I don't want to sell my problem to someone else.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coolant temps and levels okay?

Kinda sounds like steam escaping through a pinhole leak

OP
OP
G

Gwen01

Reaction score
Coolant levels are good and no engine temp problem-even after driving in 122 degree heat with the ACs blowing on high for hours! There's also no leaks under the hood and nothing on the ground.
It's been going on for about a year and has had more than a few dealer oil changes with no mention of any problems. Dealer also couldn't identify the sound and truthfully, it's really hard to hear in a mechanic shop. But I can hear it clearly in my garage at home.
It does sound like a steam kettle after you shut it off and it gurgles, but it lasts for 3-4 hours at the same sound level, never getting louder or softer! It just magically quits at all once.
My neighbor was a diesel mechanic and thought maybe AC compressor, but no AC problems and the sound occurs even in the winter, when I have the AC and heat completely off.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it sound like a sizzle every few seconds like water steaming off something?

OP
OP
G

Gwen01

Reaction score
99% of the time it sounds like someone is whistling, like when a bomb is being dropped in an old WWII movie.

OP
OP
G

Gwen01

Reaction score
It sounds like it's coming from the top/back of the engine or down by the transmission pan.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
next time you shut it off open the gas cap and see if it stops, another important question do you have air suspension??

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explorers have had issues with transmission solonoids staying on and whining for hours after shut down as well. None of these are “big deal” issues but are annoying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus