2011 head unit replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks 2000gm, I actually did not know there was a harness that would allow you to keep sync controls (had not researched it). I may end up throwing my kenwood in also then since i also miss having the larger back up screen. I am having a hard time getting used to the rear view mirror screen. I think it is a very good camera, but I was used to the 5" screen from the kenwood. I really just wanted to add the oem sub and wondered how hard it would be (two dealerships can not answer this question for me), but I may go back to aftermarket. I would proabably try the accel for the wheel controls this time though - I had too many issues with the PAC. We'll see though, like I said, the wife will being taking it in a few months and she thought the kenwood was too compicated when I had it in the 06 Expy.

CookieMan12

Reaction score
There are 2 plugs in the back of my stock head unit. One larger one (which the adapter from our 2006 Explorer clicks right into, but a couple of the wires are different) and one smaller one. I'm not sure which wired are for the factory sub (mine has no sub anyways) but those are the only wire connections at the back other than the antenna. I'm not sure on a truck with no sub if any of those wires contained in those 2 plugs are just unused and would go to the sub if the truck had one, but there are a few empty slots in each one...so maybe the wires aren't there, but would be in those slots.

My truck does not have heated seats. My plan, going back to my last post above, was to tap off of the heated second row seat fuse in the passenger's footwell fuse box. I haven't tested the circut, but I assume ot only has power when the ignition is on. This would complete my install, along with the steering wheel control converter.....

BUT........

My wife has decided she wants to keep the SYNC, mainly for the bluetooth but also for some of the other voice commands she's gotten used to using. I KNEW that was going to happen lol. So I ordered the PAC kit that maintains the SYNC functions and plays the SYNC audio voice through the aftermarket head unit's aux input. We'll see how that goes.

It's actually very easy. The panel around the head unit has 4 main clips. I started gently prying at the bottom of it below the 12v power outlet. If you take your time and work your fingertips around the outside it will pop off. If any of the 4 metal clips stay in the dashboard make sure you pop them out and place them back on the tabs on the back side of the panel before you put the panel back in place. Once the panel is off there is enough slack in the HVAC controls wiring to move the panel aside, and then it's just the typical Ford 4 9/32 screws holding the head unit in.

Did that harness allow the use of the factory Aux and USB inputs in the console? My AVH-P8400BH has two USB ports on the back, but by looking at the harness, I don't see a USB plug on it that would hook up to the HU. Sounds like it may play, but the browsing function may not work?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmcritt22