2011 Navigator rear end low this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jryan15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2011 Navigator L and have now felt the pain of the air suspension system.

For a couple weeks the compressor has been on a lot. Twice I turned off the suspension system and measured the car height before and after sitting over night. I didn't notice any change in the height of all 4 corners.

Yesterday the compressor was on extra long and my wife got the check suspension warning... Also before she made it home while waiting in a parking lot the vehicle was bouncing around weirdly. After getting home and parking for a while, both rear corners are completely sagged. Started the car and put it in gear this morning and the air compressor didn't even kick on.

I was already scheduled to get it into a mechanic for an oil change and to investigate the shocks next week, but now I don't know if it's driveable. Any chance someone knows if this might be related to the connector corrosion issue? I could try and find and clean the connector.

I've dug through the forum reading about conversion kits, but still not sure what to go with. I have a few questions if anyone has time.

1. Can I tell if I have 4 wheel air suspension from the VIN?
2. Any recommendation on a kit that will keep me as close to stock as possible?
3. Does anyone know if the error message fix is in place for a 2011?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to ford etis and enter your vin number you shoud be able to get a readout of what was on the Navigator when built you can also print it so you have a copy for yourself

OP
OP
J

jryan15

Reaction score
Go to ford etis and enter your vin number you shoud be able to get a readout of what was on the Navigator when built you can also print it so you have a copy for yourself

Thanks for that link, good information to have! The only line that seemed relevant was "With Rear Load Levelling Suspension".

Also found this link which implies that all the 2007-2011's have rear air suspension only.

The system uses only two air bags on the rear axle unlike previous models with air bags on all four corners. Also, unlike previous Expedition models the rear suspension is independent.

Looks like I'm rear only. This will help a lot in investigating conversion options. I was confused since Amazon and other sites all seem to show front strut options...

I think tonight I'll try and get the beast in my garage to check out the relay connector, air lines, and the air bags. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears (eyes) :).

Thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you need a wiring diagram let me know Although I don't have the diagrams for the 2011 model I do have them for the 2010 model. They should be the same

OP
OP
J

jryan15

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know. Hopefully it will have the same 4 wire / relay setup as I saw in video from one of the stickied posts.

I'm also hoping that the relay location didn't change from gen2 to gen3. I've seen videos and pictures of a 2006 showing it in the engine compartment near the right side headlight asm. I haven't found anything on 2007 or newer (3rd gen) trucks though.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the 2010 model the Air Suspension Compressor Relay is located in the Battery Junction Box Check your owners manual

OP
OP
J

jryan15

Reaction score
Thanks Bedrck47!

I pulled the relay and shorted across it and only hear what sounds like the compressor clicking. Seems like it may be locked up. I'm digging into options now.

OP
OP
J

jryan15

Reaction score
Should I bite the bullet and go mechanical already? The predominant issues with the system seem to be gen1 and gen2. Doesn't seem like I see as many complaints on gen3 issues online.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't really give you an opinion on that as I never had an expy with air suspension. From what I read most are glad that they switched.