2012 Expedition No brake lights, won't shift out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Sauer

Reaction score
New to Forum. I have an 2012 Expedition that is currently sitting in the shop. It won't shift out of park and the brake lights don't work. The kicker is that if one turns the wheel to the left a little at a time it will eventually come out of park, but the brake lights won't work. I've checked bulbs and fuses. Anyone seen this before?

I have seen posts for this, but they are all for older Expeditions.

2011 expy

Reaction score
Just had similar problem with not shifting out of park on my 2011 a couple of weeks ago. The brake switch was diagnosed as the problem and had it replaced at the dealer.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing how to replace the switch by searching for expedition brake switch. This search would have saved me hundreds of dollars if I would have done this first.

OP
OP
M

Michael Sauer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That is what I originally thought. Had the shop look at that, but it was working. He told me something about the brake solenoid (?) is the issue. It sounds expensive, I know that.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That is what I originally thought. Had the shop look at that, but it was working. He told me something about the brake solenoid (?) is the issue. It sounds expensive, I know that.
Maybe he's talking about the shift interlock solenoid? That would stop itt from shifting but cause no issues with the brake lights.

The switch down at the brake peddle is a very common failure and will cause the exact issue your having. Sometimes they'll work and others they won't. For $30 at a dealer I'd swap it anyway

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michael Sauer

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right about the shift interlock solenoid. This morning he said he was in the middle of testing it.

OP
OP
M

Michael Sauer

Reaction score
Picked up the Expedition over the weekend. Everything is back to normal. It was the shift interlock solenoid. Suprisingly, I only paid a $132 to have it fixed. I thought surely I'd be out three or four hundred bucks.