2012 Limited 4x4 mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmikul

Reaction score
I just installed my K&N CAI...which is a little underwhelming and I might change it back to stock soon.

I also installed my SCT X4 tunes which turned my boat of a truck into of a car like response.....a lot of fun...hope nothing breaks.

My question is...I have a 4x4 with 3.31's. I had looked for a model with 3.73's when shopping but they were all 2 wheel drive.

Is there a prohibiting factor that would prevent me from being able to install 3.73's or even 4.10's in my Expy to get a little more line punch?

I don't go fast on the freeway so I'm not worried about losing top end speed.

Just like to race red lights. :rocking:

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be easy now that you have a tuner. One thing to keep in mind though is that since it is a 4wd you will have to replace the gears in the front AND rear differentials.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with the rest, I guess fast is all subjective. With all the mods you listed and swapping to 4.10s you might get down to a 15.0 to 15.5 quarter mile on premium or E85.

That being said you could start looking for a 3rd member out of a 2015 or newer Navigator L. In 2015 Lincoln made 4.10s on navigator L models standard and optional on regular length to help disguise what a turd the ecoboost really is.

The bottom line is that even with all those mods you will still be slower than a Grand Cherokee Hemi, Stock F-150 with the 5.0, Escalade, and about every other SUV out there. IF you really want to go fast you either need to build the 5.4 and add forced induction or sell it and buy a GM SUV.

PS I've driven several 3.31 equipped expeditions and owned 3.73 equipped ones and even with 2wd the 3.31s were a turd. There are some here that claim with 3.31s there expedition runs with camaros and gets over 20 miles per gallon but the reality is it's a mid 16 second truck on a good day without anything in it.

Good luck in your search.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know enough about these axles and diffs to know if you are physically limited in running 4.10s. But yeah- gotta do both front and back or disconnect the front driveshaft. Probably run about $1000 for new gears front and back installed.

Are your SCT tunes just the canned tunes? If so, buy some time on a dyno and get those things dialed in better and you'll be happier.

OP
OP
C

Cmikul

Reaction score
yes, my Expy is a turd but the SRT was $10k more and couldn't fit my family.

And I can't force myself to drive a GM product....just can't.....even if it was free.

I'm ok with a turd...and I'm stoked that it's 1 second faster than my 2003.....feels like a good buy to me.

Ford is my drive or die.