2012 Rear Window Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about bubbling paint?! Thats the fist major issue people have and i believe the first warranty that runs out!

There are several people on here with this issue and millions around the world and its not just limited to Expys! It is clearly a defect in the paint process since it starts from the inside hence the paint bubbling!

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 05 and I have the same problem. I have to clean the seal and window at least once a week.

mmaylock

Reaction score
FWIW, I have a 2007 EB that has the same problem since I bought it new. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. Go figure...

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expedition LTD with 50,000 miles. It and my previous 2007 had water runs down the inside back window. I took 2) pieces about 5 feet long of screen window spline rubber and pushed it inside the vent hole on the rear gasket. About one foot down from left side until it was across the top and one foot down the right side. This keeps the gasket from collapsing as much and has stopped the leaks so far. Including car wash pressure, no leaks. Simple 20 minute fix for a few bucks. Screen window spline is about a 3/16" rubber rope from any hardware store.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
My 2007 has done it since I bought it in 2011...It leaks over about a 2 ft wide area...never to the point of puddling but I can see the "runs" down the inside when I look in the rear view mirror clear as day...I think it's why my paint has started to bubble on the lift gate. Got a $600 quote to completely refinish the gate....My paint, otherwise, is great.

IIGood

Reaction score
...thread from the dead!

Was any other resolution ever found for this? My new-to-me 2010 Limited is having this issue. Every time it rains there's some water running down the inside of the tailgate glass in two spots. The water tends to collect on the plastic trim so if I open the tailgate while it's raining I get a bit of a shower as I'm loading stuff into the back of the truck.

The actual glass hatch seems to close just fine. Could it be the weatherstripping? Or is it the hinges? Does the glass need some sort of adjustment to seal better to the weatherstripping?

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '17 you have to keep the weather stripping and lift gate glass very clean where they make contact. If a little bit of grime gets in that area it sometimes will leak a few drops down the inside of the window during car wash etc... I think that weather stripping needs to be thicker so it'll press against the glass better. It doesn't do it very often so I just keep it clean and let it be.

IIGood

Reaction score
On my '17 you have to keep the weather stripping and lift gate glass very clean where they make contact. If a little bit of grime gets in that area it sometimes will leak a few drops down the inside of the window during car wash etc... I think that weather stripping needs to be thicker so it'll press against the glass better. It doesn't do it very often so I just keep it clean and let it be.

Thanks, I'll start there and see what that does. The window got cleaned recently, inside and out, but I didn't really bother with the weatherstrip. I'll give it a whirl and see if it nets any positive results.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm wondering if some universal weather stripping could be put on top of the current strip so make a tighter fit.