2012 Rear Window Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
Bought a 2010 Eddie Bauer 6 months ago and we are having the same problem. It was worse and I cleaned both the seal and the glass. It still does it pretty much under where the 3rd brake light is...about 6-8 inch section right in the top middle.

I inspected the seal for cracks, tears or deformation. But it looks good. I have seen many posts on other forums that state that a new seal is needed, they shrink with age. But almost every place I can find wants $100 for that seal.

I think I am going to try the fix listed in post #15 above. It should be fairly inexpensive to try.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2012-rear-window-leak.15683/page-2#post-154201

If it works, I will let everyone know.

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
This is for door seals, but the principal is the same

I forgot to update everyone. I tried the fix listed in this video. I got my black surgical tubing from Amazon. I think 20 feet was $12.

I works perfectly. I will admit, the window closed hard for the first week or so after installation. But now after using the window several times and finally some heat in Indiana...the window closes normally.

I have taken the Expy through several high pressure only car washes and it has not leaked a drop where it used to leak a decent amount.