2014 Back up camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deano_1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Expedition when I am backing up using my camera should the 3 boxes (green, yellow and red) change to a solid color for each box as I am backing up and getting closer to an object? I am getting the beeping sounds and faster as I get closer to something, but the boxes never "fill in". My wife as a Explorer and each box fills in as you back up. There is a settings box when your in reverse on the camera screen, but that only changes the sounds or daytime or nighttime settings.
Thanks
Deano

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the owners manual for a 2014 expedition and a 2014 explorer they both say just about the same.

That the colors should fade in and out. I would take it to the dealer and see if something is wrong with the screen

Or possibly something is wrong with the programming of the settings box

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the settings. It's a feature you can turn on or off depending on your preferences.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Expedition when I am backing up using my camera should the 3 boxes (green, yellow and red) change to a solid color for each box as I am backing up and getting closer to an object? I am getting the beeping sounds and faster as I get closer to something, but the boxes never "fill in". My wife as a Explorer and each box fills in as you back up. There is a settings box when your in reverse on the camera screen, but that only changes the sounds or daytime or nighttime settings.
Thanks
Deano

The boxes do not change colors, turn or illuminate like you are asking, this is the old system. If you went with a 15 you would have those features.

Looking at the owners manual for a 2014 expedition and a 2014 explorer they both say just about the same.

That the colors should fade in and out. I would take it to the dealer and see if something is wrong with the screen

Or possibly something is wrong with the programming of the settings box

You realize that the explorer and expedition use two completely different head units and wiring systems RIGHT? 2015 Expeditions go to Fords new(er) infotainment system.

OP
OP
D

Deano_1

Reaction score
I finally looked at my manual and it says, "the fixed guidelines guidelines fade in and out depending on the steering wheel location." Not sure what this actually means, but as I stated before, nothing happens with any of the guidelines when backing up.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do u need them to do anything? as long as they're there when ur backing up is most important to me...

OP
OP
D

Deano_1

Reaction score
What is the point of the guidelines if they don't do anything. The camera is great for backing up to a trailer or something similar, but it would be nice for the guidelines to actually mean something. The beeping in the alarm lets me know when I am getting close to something. My avalanche had a back-up alarm too, but no camera. I am still trying to figure out the point of the guidelines of they don't change color. Like mentioned earlier, my wife's 2013 Explorer guidelines and fill in when backing up.

satcomtim

Reaction score
What is the point of the guidelines if they don't do anything. The camera is great for backing up to a trailer or something similar, but it would be nice for the guidelines to actually mean something. =

They have a point and do mean something. Is the pole you are about to back into in the green, yellow or red?

They are just that, guidelines to help you back in.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gives u a visual of how close something REALLY is...without u would have to rely of ur judgement and the speed of the beeps...green ur still far away...yellow ur getting close and red ur right on...as stated above...guidelines