2014 with near engine stall upon startup...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmden

Reaction score
...in cooler ambient temps after vehicle has been driven and parked in somewhat heated (45-60F this time of year typically) garage. When I go back to start it (don't do anything but turn the ignition...no foot on brake or anything else) approx. 4 hours later after putting it in the garage, it starts up, then often, the RPMs will drop down to 250 (that's right) or a bit less for a second or two. The car shakes, the engine sounds like it's going to die, then it revs back uo to where it should be and operation from that point on returns to normal. This happens very consistently. Check engine light does not come on (hard to believe) and no codes are there to be read by the dealership.

This has been to the dealer under Ford Warranty many times for this. They even had me go home one weekend with one of their code readers installed (IDS) to try and see what's happening when I start it. THAT didn't work at all because the ignition had to be turned to 'on' for about 10 seconds for the IDS and car computer to talk to each other before ignitions was turned to start to actually start the car. Somehow, this 10 second time period with the car ignition in the 'on' position does something to keep the issue from occuring at start up in the above mentioned conditions. So, this being the case, there is NO WAY to record what is happening.

Just yesterday, the Ford techs that the local dealership can email said to try and put in a new relay that's for the fuel pump as they had seen a situation similar to this from that relay being bad. No change. Brought the car home from the dealership. Parked it for exactly 4 hours in garage, went back out and started and RPMs dropped right down to 250 a second after start up, lived there a second or so, then went back up to around 1000 or so.

Now I'm at the end of my 36K Ford warranty and even though this is an onging issue the started occuring right after we purchased the vehicle in 2014 from this dealership (14K miles on it), apparently Ford won't cover any more work on it. Great. So everytime all fall/winter/spring when its colder, I get to deal with this issue after spending big chunk of change on a nearly new vehicle.

Any reasonable ideas would be appreciated. Thank you. Jon

Last edited:

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be one or several things (IACV, MAF, PCM), but most would throw a code. It might be worth testing the coils to start. A bad coil won't throw a code right away. Once you get it figured out and repaired, I would suggest going to small claims and naming both Ford and the servicing dealership as co-defendants. Considering this concern was raised numerous times under warranty, Ford should foot the bill. You may even want to consider pursuing the issue under your state's lemon law.

As an aside, my experience with multiple dealerships has demonstrated that Ford has a delay, deny, defend policy for warrantied vehicles. They delay acknowledging the problem. If you persist and manage to prove there is in fact a problem, they will deny responsibility for it. (e.g. They will claim the item isn't covered or that the issue was caused by misuse/abuse.) Throughout the process they will defend their actions and in many cases force customers into litigation in order to recover losses for a repair Ford should have paid for in the first place.

Last edited:

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you Google "test MAF" and "test IACV" you'll find a couple videos/tutorials on testing them. Again, they both should throw a code whereas the coils won't necessarily do so until the problem becomes serious so I would start with the coils. Coils have also been a known problem area on Expeditions for many years and while I would have hoped they would have fixed them by 2014, they failed to address the peeling/bubbling paint issue in well over a decade so I know better.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any other suggestions anyone?

Yes, find something else to worry about. Find a hobby. See a therapist.

Seriously, this has to be the saddest thread I've ever seen. Pathetic issue, horrific advice - really, a small claims lawsuit? We are talking about a guy who doesn't have the extra 10 seconds required to keep his truck from slightly stumbling, periodically throughout the year. (100% dependent on ambient temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed, amount of time parked figured in). Suggesting the Lemon Law card be played, SMDH.

You both should get together, maybe meet at a Toyota dealership that has a coffee shop AND a pharmacy. Get out of your Expeditions, they are too stressful of a vehicle for you two. A beige Corolla is exactly what you both need. New ones this time, without tachometers. Live happily ever after. You can both point and laugh at the poor sap suckers who are forced to drive such horrific vehicles such as Expeditions.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Seriously, this has to be the saddest thread I've ever seen. Pathetic issue, horrific advice - really, a small claims lawsuit? We are talking about a guy who doesn't have the extra 10 seconds required to keep his truck from slightly stumbling, periodically throughout the year. (100% dependent on ambient temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed, amount of time parked figured in). Suggesting the Lemon Law card be played, SMDH.

You both should get together, maybe meet at a Toyota dealership that has a coffee shop AND a pharmacy. Get out of your Expeditions, they are too stressful of a vehicle for you two. A beige Corolla is exactly what you both need. New ones this time, without tachometers. Live happily ever after. You can both point and laugh at the poor sap suckers who are forced to drive such horrific vehicles such as Expeditions.

The guy paid ~$60K for his truck and the problem was presented to Ford - multiple times - long before the warranty expired. Ford was contractually obligated to diagnose and repair the problem, but delayed the issue until the warranty ran out. Yes ******, that's a violation of law. He shouldn't have to pay a dime to get this particular issue resolved. If your too much of a punk ass to stand up for yourself when you aren't hiding behind your PC so be it, but don't knock other people for doing so. Now run off to CVS; your wife needs more tampons. Why don't you take her truck and go get some?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score

Wow, Flex...bad day? Hope you feel better soon.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flexedition's comment has already been addressed...no need for anyone to comment about his post