2015-2017 Gear ratios and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I’d really recommend a Suburban 2500 if you want that type of vehicle use, it’s got suburban sheet metal on the outside but underneath is a 3/4 ton work truck throughout. 3/4 ton shocks, bigger U-joints, bigger rear axle and I believe the rear is leafs vs struts as well.....you get the idea. It also comes with the bigger 6.0L Vortec which is a solid power plant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ilka Wagner

Ilka Wagner

Reaction score
Did some more digging around and reading. Sure appreciate everyone's suggestions because I have learned a ton!
Found the following:
2018 Expedition Max LS 4x4
HD towing package, 3.73 diff
Not a lot of bells and whistles, but we don't care about that.
Payload capacity of 1927#. Highest I have seen.
1050 miles on it.

Sounds like a good possibility - payload is definitely enough, has the new 10 speed trans, etc.
Would anyone still have hesitations with this even with trailer properly equipped with WD hitch, loads distributed properly, etc. This seems like exactly what folks have told me to look for other than considering a pick up or 3/4 ton suburban.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
8200 pound trailer guestiweight leaves very little weight allowance for passengers and cargo in the truck. You only get a "free" 150 pound allowance for the driver. After that every McDonalds french fry under the seat, dogs, firewood, and maybe your family counts against the 9000 pound maximum towing capacity.

In the absence of an actual, not a guess, trailer weight I'd use the trailers GVWR as the planning weight for selecting a tow vehicle. And it's often difficult to keep the weight below that.

I'd not tow your trailer with an Expedition as I personally adhere to the very conservative "One Ton Rule" which demands a ton (2000 pounds) more towing capacity than the trailer weighs. This accounts for high summer temperatures, steep grades, and loading the vehicle to maximum capacity. The proposed setup does not even meet the "1000 Pound Rule." :(

-- Chuck

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That trailer weight is definitely near the absolute limit. I would suggest renting to see how the combination works. I tow a 31' 7k trailer with my 2017 EL w/ 3.31 gears and would not feel comfortable going any higher. Power isn't an issue. My combo is stable up to 70mph as long as it is not windy, but mountains or wind would likely tax the control authority over the trailer.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While not completely on topic, but related...

I just tried an air deflector on the roof. While it did nothing for mileage or the suspension's (lack of solid) stability with the 30' 8K trailer, it did help with sway from other vehicles.

Without the deflector, even a Jeep pushed around the rig when it passed. With the deflector, semi's still push the rig around, but not as much as without the deflector.

Deflector was mounted to the roof rack rails as far back as possible and 'aimed' at the leading edge of the trailer's roof.