2015 EL Limited HD Tow Package Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyLover123

Reaction score
Hello,

I went to look at a 2015 EL Limited tonight. Do all EL Limiteds have the HD Tow Package? It's 4x4, so it should be good for 9100lb. However, I used vin decoder here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?

The Vin Decoder states it's max hauling is 6600lb.

When I examined the truck I saw the 7 pin harness, but did not check for the 4. The shift knob has a T/H button and there was a factory brake controller present.

I'm planning to use for towing an 8k lb trailer, so I want to be sure I am getting the HD tow package.

This is a private sale, am I able to call a Ford dealership and just ask the parts desk?

Thank you

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Limiteds having the tow pkg as standard but having the factory brake controller there is a good sign you have it. Remember - that 9100 max is achieved only with a WD hitch. And 8k is getting up there as far as tongue weight will be concerned. Is that 8k lbs dry weight? You need to accommodate all your "stuff" in the total weight. I always want at least about a 1,500 lb "cushion" rather than towing at max. Good luck to you!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I went to look at a 2015 EL Limited tonight. Do all EL Limiteds have the HD Tow Package? It's 4x4, so it should be good for 9100lb. However, I used vin decoder here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?

When I examined the truck I saw the 7 pin harness, but did not check for the 4. The shift knob has a T/H button and there was a factory brake controller present.

I'm planning to use for towing an 8k lb trailer, so I want to be sure I am getting the HD tow package.

This is a private sale, am I able to call a Ford dealership and just ask the parts desk?

Thank you

I ordered and bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. The HD towing package was standard on the Limited models for 2015.

Plati

Reaction score
Note: This product is intended to provide a general description of the information generated by the entered vehicle's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and some pieces of data may be general to that specific model and not entirely accurate for the vehicle specified.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Max towing capacity is no doubt 6600 pounds. 9300 with a WDH. HD Tow is standard on the higher trim lines and is probably on the truck if it has the 7-pole "RV" electrical connector to the right of the tow receiver. There's a label on the bottom of the receiver with more information.

But an 8000 pound trailer will have anywhere between 800 and 1200 pounds on the ball for safe towing (10% - 15% is required) and the cargo capacity of the truck is probably in the 1400 pound range meaning that a 200 pound driver could max out the truck despite what it can "tow." Leave the family at home if this is a camper.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
E

ExpyLover123

Reaction score
Thank you all for the reassurance. Dry hitch is 636lb and dry weight is 6193 with trailer carrying capacity of 1443. I plan to tow it near dry 99% of time. I know it will be close and will try to load trailer as evenly as possible.

I have also found many people using expeditions to tow the same trailer.

I called a few Ford dealerships and was able to get someone to send me the factory invoice and it does have the HD Tow Package.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you
I'm sure it has the tow package, look for the trans oil cooler too but I would bet money it does.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Dry weights are absolute fiction but with a published GVWR of 7636 the truck will handle it easily even fully loaded.

My personal rule of thumb is the One Ton Rule which simply states the trailer must weigh at least 2000 pounds less than the published towing capacity of the tow vehicle. In my case it's 9300-2000=7300. This allows for eventual weight creep, cargo in the vehicle, high summer temperatures, and steep grades. You're just a couple hundred pounds over my "rule" which is no big deal.

You could still have over 1100 pounds on the ball if you need 15% there for stability so check cargo vs capacity.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
E

ExpyLover123

Reaction score
Dry weights are absolute fiction but with a published GVWR of 7636 the truck will handle it easily even fully loaded.

My personal rule of thumb is the One Ton Rule which simply states the trailer must weigh at least 2000 pounds less than the published towing capacity of the tow vehicle. In my case it's 9300-2000=7300. This allows for eventual weight creep, cargo in the vehicle, high summer temperatures, and steep grades. You're just a couple hundred pounds over my "rule" which is no big deal.

You could still have over 1100 pounds on the ball if you need 15% there for stability so check cargo vs capacity.

-- Chuck

Thank you very much for your insight. Just to clarify by "dry", I meant carrying very little water.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume we are talking about a camper here. Dry "usually" means no water, provisions, clothes, etc. Plus no propane in the tanks and usually no battery. I use 500 lbs as a ballpark for typical additional weight BEFORE provisioning. That means two full propane tanks, battery, hoses, tools, etc. that we take on every trip. Probably another 500 per trip for food, clothes, bikes, etc. It adds up quick but you should be OK given the number you gave earlier. About the same as my camper.