2015 EL SYNC2 update to v3.10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven H

Reaction score
On Friday I downloaded the v3.10 update for the SYNC2. I followed the Ford.com instructions and everything went as planned or expected. Downloaded to computer, extracted to a USB flash drive, inserted into the trucks USB, etc...
Since then when I plug a phone charger cable into the USB port I get a "USB insertion error" pop up message on the screen. I have tried 2 different new USB A to C cables and the older cable I had used without problems before. I get this error code when I plug into my Android phone. The Android phone also gets me a message that it is charging very slowly. However, this error does not occur when using a USB to lightening cable while charging my wife's iphone (Apple).

Did anyone else experience this issue? Is there a fix? (switching to an iphone is NOT a solution.)

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Is the expensive $150 Ford update or the free update many of us here are using without issues?

Can you TRY an iPhone there? I know you're not a fanboy but if the iPhone works (as do all of mine) it will help isolate the problem. These are easy to find as everyone (but you) has one. :)

-- Chuck

OP
OP
Steven H

Steven H

Reaction score
Is the expensive $150 Ford update or the free update many of us here are using without issues?

Can you TRY an iPhone there? I know you're not a fanboy but if the iPhone works (as do all of mine) it will help isolate the problem. These are easy to find as everyone (but you) has one. :)

-- Chuck

It's the free download update from the Ford website.
My wife's iphone works, or seems to, but it's my truck and I don't use an iphone. I need a fix for the Android phone.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got a link? Ford wanted $150 to download it when I checked last week.

-- Chuck

I don’t think ya’ll are talking the same thing. The 2015’s have actual Sync2, not Sync 3 version 2. This is the old 4 quadrant version written by Microsoft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I downloaded the update for my 2015 Expedition EL at this web site. I had to enter my VIN to get the correct download. So I'm sure that it's the right one for the SYNC2 update.
https://help.ford.com/update-sync/

Yes. You got it from the correct place. Chuck was confused...was clarifying for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Steven H

Steven H

Reaction score
I've been working with Ford Service. After I started this thread I also posted the same thing on the Ford FB page. They have reached out to me through messenger to try to resolve this issue. Still in the working stages, because there are lags in getting info, trying to do what they want to try, and getting the info back, rinse repeat. This truck isn't currently my daily driver, so I don't have access to it all day long--nor the time to drop everything and go get/send info...

PXL_20201007_235303993.jpg