2015 Expedition remote start not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronny1978

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2015 Ford Expedition that also comes from factory with a remote start option.
The seller disclosed before the sale she has no idea why it isn't working and I've researched online and there are several "solutions" to this issue but I checked all of them and can't figure out why it isn't working.
I put new batteries in both key fobs, checked the dashboard settings for remote start (which are all on so it should start) and also checked a little fix that was mentioned online about the hood switch which sometimes bends down too far so it doesn't recognize all doors being locked but this isn't the issue. It only beeps once and not 2x when locking it so it ain't the hood switch or any other door switch for that matter. No warning light on in the dash either.
Is there any experienced Ford mechanic on here that maybe knows what else it could be?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and it resolved itself, but I never figured out why. Check remaining oil life and battery charge level.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2015 Ford Expedition that also comes from factory with a remote start option.
The seller disclosed before the sale she has no idea why it isn't working and I've researched online and there are several "solutions" to this issue but I checked all of them and can't figure out why it isn't working.
I put new batteries in both key fobs, checked the dashboard settings for remote start (which are all on so it should start) and also checked a little fix that was mentioned online about the hood switch which sometimes bends down too far so it doesn't recognize all doors being locked but this isn't the issue. It only beeps once and not 2x when locking it so it ain't the hood switch or any other door switch for that matter. No warning light on in the dash either.
Is there any experienced Ford mechanic on here that maybe knows what else it could be?

I’m not an experienced Ford mechanic - but an experienced Ford owner.

The remote start will not operate if there is check-engine light illuminated, or certain stored trouble codes.

When you push the lock button on the remote fob, do all doors lock? If you have one or more doors that don’t lock, the remote start will not operate as the door sensor switch will tell the computer the door is not locked.

You did not state which model you have, or if it has a key ignition or the intelligent key fob ignition.

With the key removed or engine turned off, does the chime sound when the LF door is opened? If so, that indicates a problem with the transmission floor shifter not telling the computer the vehicle is placed in park.

OP
OP
R

Ronny1978

Reaction score
Sorry it's the limited model with push start. And yes when I open the drivers door it'll chime even if everything is off and the vehicle is in park.
So it's the switch for the shifter/park sensor? Is that expensive/complicated to replace?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry it's the limited model with push start. And yes when I open the drivers door it'll chime even if everything is off and the vehicle is in park.
So it's the switch for the shifter/park sensor? Is that expensive/complicated to replace?

The shifter assembly is unique to the 2015 - 2017 Expedition models. It is about $180 from Ford (no aftermarket).

The shifter bezel must be removed, and the assembly replaced.

The shifter assembly has a broken part, which tells the car’s computer the vehicle is not in park (which prevents the remote start) although it is.

1675027076823.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Ronny1978

Reaction score
Ok I gotta call my local Ford dealers tomorrow and see what they would charge. I also gotta see how much they want for the part. I can get it online for about $180 but idk how much a dealer chargers for that part.

gergnamenorg

Reaction score
I’m not an experienced Ford mechanic - but an experienced Ford owner.

The remote start will not operate if there is check-engine light illuminated, or certain stored trouble codes.

When you push the lock button on the remote fob, do all doors lock? If you have one or more doors that don’t lock, the remote start will not operate as the door sensor switch will tell the computer the door is not locked.

You did not state which model you have, or if it has a key ignition or the intelligent key fob ignition.

With the key removed or engine turned off, does the chime sound when the LF door is opened? If so, that indicates a problem with the transmission floor shifter not telling the computer the vehicle is placed in park.
the check engine light for a catalytic converter disables the remote start... oh, of course that makes sense .