2015 Expedition with Very Loud Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i am deaf as a post in one ear. i can feel them more than hear them, unless i open the door.
yes they are loud to a degree, but they also move a ton of air.
my 2013 f150 eb, had two fans compared to the one on the expy, maybe thats why it has to spin faster and create more noise.
either way, once your up to around 35 the fans modulate down and even off as temps dictate.
be glad you can leave it running and run in the store and the vehicle stays cool inside. its hot were we live so cold a/c and cabin is a must.

Reaction score
I thought I would post a follow up with a little new information in case it helps someone. Recently I was at the dealership trading in my Flex on a new-er Flex. While I was there, I knew the used sales manager and got to talking with him about the insanely loud fan on the Expedition. I explained to him that when it's this hot outside it doesn't matter if the A/C is on or not, within a minute after startup it will be running. I also explained that my vehicle was in a front end crash before I bought it, no airbags deployed, but the radiator was replaced, so maybe the fan was too. I have been thinking, maybe somebody put some cheaper fan in there and it's much louder? So the sales manager guy started handing me keys to a few brand new expeditions and said... "why don't you see if they sound the same?" So I went out in the lot and started up 3 different expeditions and set to max A/C - it was at least 85 degrees outside and humid. Low and behold, each one is not even half as loud as mine!! I would estimate 1/3 of the decibels. SO - either they changed the fans for 17-18, or, mine is some cheap one that just produces way more sones per volume of air than the oem one. I'm going with the latter, especially given it was in the accident in the past and parts were replaced up there. Just some info for everyone...

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a 2017 a few months back, and it is also way loud, even 1st start in the mourning. We notice if the cabin fan speed isn't above 50% the fan noise isn't as loud. Also takes longer for ac to get cold than any of our other vehicles. My old 2006 Mustang blows cold air pretty much right away, as well as both my chevys. I noticed my uncles 2017 f150 takes awhile to get cold as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fans are noisy on high on my 17 Expy too when it's above 90 degrees but it has never overheated and I know the increased airflow will keep the air temps low in the intercooler.

Michael McC

Reaction score
Whenever the outside temperature reaches 90+ the fan blows very loudly. It is noticeable when inside the vehicle but outside it almost sounds more like a jet idling then an expedition.

Is this normal or is it a known issue?

Thanks!
Every day in South Texas from June to September. No big deal. It's just loud.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my 1st turbo vehicle, but never herd either of my uncles f150's this loud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never owned a motor vehicle with electric fans that are as loud as my Expediton when the temperature is hot.

When I was in high school my mom owned a 1989 VW Vanagon. Just as loud except higher pitched, and would continue for 5 minutes or so after ignition was turned off. Noticed it when I was driving around looking at colleges in 1991. Can abs radiator (yes,1980s and later were water cooled) were in the front. Engine still in back. Fan was in front.

bdecker14

Reaction score
2015 EX Lim and it’s loud as hell. I just traded my 07 and thought something was wrong with the 15… guess not sounds like it’s just there for protection during high temps, I like in FL so basically all year this thing is going to be screaming.

vincentrose

Reaction score
My 14 Expy with the 5.4L V8(not Ecoboost) does this too, usually when its hot outside and the A/C is on.