2015 Expedition with Very Loud Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is crazy loud too.
We’ve been running around 100+ with the heat index.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4 has an engine driven fan with a clutch on it. When it is cooler out the clutch allows the fan to spin (somewhat) freely. On a cool day with the engine off reach in and move the fan. It should move fairly free. As the clutch gets warmer it "grabs" the fan and spins it. The Ecoboost engines use dual electric fans that come on as needed. Usually they are setup to run one fan when the AC is turned on and both when the radiator needs it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.4 has an engine driven fan with a clutch on it. When it is cooler out the clutch allows the fan to spin (somewhat) freely. On a cool day with the engine off reach in and move the fan. It should move fairly free. As the clutch gets warmer it "grabs" the fan and spins it. The Ecoboost engines use dual electric fans that come on as needed. Usually they are setup to run one fan when the AC is turned on and both when the radiator needs it.

Depends on the year 5.4, mine is clutch some are electric.

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the 5.4 moved to efans in 10 just like the F150 with same motor. My F150 never made as much fan noise as my ecoboost but I don't recall if the F150 had a single large fan or two smaller ones. Yesterday it was 102 and those electric fans were roaring loud enough to be heard over the blower and radio in the Expy when at idle. Once you get moving they scale down and you can't hear it anymore. Remember the ecoboost motor and its turbos generate quite a bit of heat especially under load so the fans are designed to compensate. When the computer demands full speed fan due to outside temp and AC being on, it really moves some air.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having done a 1000 mile road trip the past 4th holiday in the south east US, My 3.5 EB fans were roaring this past weekend. I have had a water pump replaced last fall(@18K due to a leak) so Im a bit concerned. Hearing that every one else seems to have the same thing at 90 Deg + puts me a bit more at ease.
What transmission temps are every one seeing? Mine tend to hover in the 197-201Deg F range with just passenger driving.

Reaction score
This is the first summer for our 16 EB, and the number of times people have asked what the hell is wrong our car due to the loud fan is insane. I have to get a decibel reading...to me it's totally ridiculous and I hate it. And before I get torched for saying that, I have a 700+HP SC 13 Mustang that has Kooks long tubes and full off road exhaust - it's nascar loud. You can hear it coming from 2 miles away. I have a HC slim fan for cooling on it, which most consider too loud, but it's maybe 30% of the noise this thing makes. The expy is just our family hauler/trip vehicle and we'll be sitting in a parking lot (at kids' activities or whatever) trying to talk to people outside the car 20 ft away and we have to shut it off because it's so loud... and the duty cycle is fairly low, so it cycles on and off constantly. It starts running like this @ much less than 90deg BTW - more like anything above 75degF. Turning off the AC makes no difference. Is there any option for aftermarket fans that move equivalent air but half the sones??? IDK, for my home I've found fans that move 3 times the air at 1/4 the sones... just wondering if something like that exists for this vehicle?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first summer for our 16 EB, and the number of times people have asked what the hell is wrong our car due to the loud fan is insane. I have to get a decibel reading...to me it's totally ridiculous and I hate it. And before I get torched for saying that, I have a 700+HP SC 13 Mustang that has Kooks long tubes and full off road exhaust - it's nascar loud. You can hear it coming from 2 miles away. I have a HC slim fan for cooling on it, which most consider too loud, but it's maybe 30% of the noise this thing makes. The expy is just our family hauler/trip vehicle and we'll be sitting in a parking lot (at kids' activities or whatever) trying to talk to people outside the car 20 ft away and we have to shut it off because it's so loud... and the duty cycle is fairly low, so it cycles on and off constantly. It starts running like this @ much less than 90deg BTW - more like anything above 75degF. Turning off the AC makes no difference. Is there any option for aftermarket fans that move equivalent air but half the sones??? IDK, for my home I've found fans that move 3 times the air at 1/4 the sones... just wondering if something like that exists for this vehicle?

I’m surprised turning off A/C makes no difference for you....Many share your feelings in the F-150 crowd, it’s not just an EcoBoost thing. Ever hear a Super Duty with the 6.2L? That is a clutch driven fan and it sounds like an airplane taking off from the stoplight.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loud roaring sound from the fans is normal. Now a rattling sound, that's different.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good discussion. In the horrid South Alabama heat and humidity my 2017 Limited was very loud in idle at times, had not gotten around to investigating yet, even my wife commented and she does not normally notice such things. Glad to know it was designed the way it is. Just left Mobile, Al. area and am at 5500' elevation in Banner Elk, NC, temps this am 56 degrees and rain versus 81, humid at home! Nice...

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having done a 1000 mile road trip the past 4th holiday in the south east US, My 3.5 EB fans were roaring this past weekend. I have had a water pump replaced last fall(@18K due to a leak) so Im a bit concerned. Hearing that every one else seems to have the same thing at 90 Deg + puts me a bit more at ease.
What transmission temps are every one seeing? Mine tend to hover in the 197-201Deg F range with just passenger driving.

Transmission temps should be in the 195-210 range depending on load, towing or not. The transmission was designed to run in this range and has a thermostat that prevents fluid from going to the transmission cooler until around 190.