2015 + owners. Is there anything you miss about the 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I test drove a 2015 Platinum yesterday and well I was impressed except for the 6 banger sound thru the firewall.

Those of you who bought a ecoboost is there anything you miss about the 5.4?

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sound of the v8 rumble. I despise the exhaust note of the v6. Even though the v6 helps accelerate this 6k lb beast to 60 in about 6 seconds it's gotta have a good note.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, I have a magnaflow cat back on mine and that V6 seemed louder thru the firewall, maybe its just the sound they make.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Do Expedition Eco-boosts have the "fake engine noise" playing from the stereo speakers that Ford gives the six banger mustangs?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, he's serious about the sound playing....

I owned two different Expy's with the 5.4. The first was flawless(other than a very mild weeping from the headgasket at the drivers side rear. for 220 some thousand miles. It got 13mpg but always ran. The second 5.4 was crap to put it nicely. Made very little power, lost it's headgasket, then engine electrical issues. It always ran but very poorly.

I listen to music when I drive and I never noticed increased noise between the 5.4's and the 3.5. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I am just not put off by any differences.

This is something to consider...

I ONLY bought my 3rd Expy because it DIDN'T have the 5.4 in it anymore.......I would not have spent what I consider to be serious money on a engine I had little confidence in.

Good luck,

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he's serious about the sound playing....

I owned two different Expy's with the 5.4. The first was flawless(other than a very mild weeping from the headgasket at the drivers side rear. for 220 some thousand miles. It got 13mpg but always ran. The second 5.4 was crap to put it nicely. Made very little power, lost it's headgasket, then engine electrical issues. It always ran but very poorly.

I listen to music when I drive and I never noticed increased noise between the 5.4's and the 3.5. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I am just not put off by any differences.

This is something to consider...

I ONLY bought my 3rd Expy because it DIDN'T have the 5.4 in it anymore.......I would not have spent what I consider to be serious money on a engine I had little confidence in.

Good luck,

jeff

Unfortunately the head gaskets were a weak spot on the older 2V motors, that goes for the 4.6 too. They fixed that on the 3V engines but after two previous leakers I wouldn’t blame you...

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That probably explains where all my oil consumption is going. You'd think I'd smell oil burning, but I don't. Easier to throw in a quart of 5w30 Mobil 1 at $5.99 a quart every 800 miles, than pay $1900.00 or more for head gaskets!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk