2015 Road Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those that have access or subscription to Car and Driver, they road tested the new Expy with the 3.5L ecoboost. To quote: "Rated at 365 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque, the twin turbo makes mincemeat out of the outgoing models 5.4 liter V8 and its 310 hp and 365 lb-ft of grunt." Peak torque is reportedly at 2500 rpm which is lower than the 5.4L. 0-60 is estimated at 6.3 to 6.8 seconds, so says C&D.

Not too shabby right out of the box!

DRS1

Reaction score
Nice engine but I would prefer the 5.0 V8.

^^ +1. A 400hp and 440 and 410ft-lb 5.0 version. Or direct injected at 500hp x 470... Would he cheaper to put in GDI 5.0 or 6.2 that had deactivation than the sputtering tuner TT version of V6. As good or better mileage than any TT millennial fade TT V6.

Who is running Ford? Old guys who want to woo over the youth? The youth will clamber for a real GDI V8, its sound, power and mileage once they get hooked. Since the flathead V8 all youth get away from sputtering 4s and 6s to the real man V8.

Having fun here at the expense of millennial and older metrosexual powder puff who are ruining just about this whole country. :)

Last edited:

Paul2003

Reaction score
^^ +1. A 400hp and 440 and 410ft-lb 5.0 version. Or direct injected at 500hp x 470... Would he cheaper to put in GDI 5.0 or 6.2 that had deactivation than the sputtering tuner TT version of V6. As good or better mileage than any TT millennial fade TT V6.

Who is running Ford? Old guys who want to woo over the youth? The youth will clamber for a real GDI V8, its sound, power and mileage once they get hooked. Since the flathead V8 all youth get away from sputtering 4s and 6s to the real man V8.

Having fun here at the expense of millennial and older metrosexual powder puff who are ruining just about this whole country. :)

I was just worried about the long term durability of a small V6 running high levels of boost while towing a heavy trailer. All for little or no advantage in fuel economy.

But yeah, V8's do sound better.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
For the die hard V8 fan nothing else obviously will do. Even if it is faster, more powerful, and gets better mileage. Just the thought of 2 less cylinders / less displacement sounds too anemic so it must be less powerful.

I am a hot rodder at heart. I had a supercharged stang, now a roots blown expy, and currently have an ecoboost taurus sho as well as a variety of other vehicles through the years. I have actually raced them all as well so I can appreciate the benefits of each. Of course there is no replacement for displacement assuming they both have similar flowing 4 valve heads, high compression, direct injection, and boost but otherwise the smaller boosted engine will make much better torque down low in the rpms. Even if they had the same rated power the boosted engine will make it at lower rpms vs the naturally aspirated version. For anyone who thinks the ecoboost is a high rpm motor, yes it while yes it can run some higher rpms due to the 4 valve nature of the motor, that is not its forte. The twin turbos make mega torque very low in the rpm band and that is what becomes most noticable while driving. Yes ford could make what would be equivalent to an ecoboost v8 with far more power but pretty sure that is not going to happen.

Yes the V6 will never have the rumble of a V8 but it does have significant grunt when you get on it. But I actually appreciate how quite it is in everyday driving and effortlessly it accelerates.

As far as reliability Ford has done extensive testing on this engine as they have been obviously banking on it. Then how many turbo diesels are out there and does the boost adversely effect the mileage they are getting out of those engines?

The turbo engines of today are by far not the same as the 80's when turbos combined with electronic fuel injection were first introduced. Have had 25 years or more to improve... Much more reliable and very little turbo lag.

My favorite vehicles to watch at the track are the turbo vehicles. Turbo stangs or lightnings to be specific... Yes most are V8's even of the larger displacement variety. Once they are able to hook up the power these turbo beast put out they are unbelievable.

Change can be difficult to accept but it happens never the less.

Just my thoughts.....

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
:buffer:I think am in love!!! That's a nice expy. 55 horse power over the v8 5.4???!!;! NICE

You would find the hp increase is insignificant compared to the torque curve the twin turbo puts out. The hp numbers them self really do not paint an accurate picture of what to expect.

Paul2003

Reaction score
There's no question about getting a lot of power out of turbo motor or that they are a lot better then turbos of the 80's. However an engine that has a lot of boost is under a lot more stress then one that isn't boosted. There's no way around that.

Diesels deal with it by having very heavy blocks. The new 3.0 diesel in the Dodge Ram weighs more then the 5.7 Hemi for example.

I love the idea of turbos for performance but not for fuel economy. Putting a small boosted engine in a heavy truck like the Expedition just means you will need the boost up most of the time just to deal with the weight and drag of the truck. That removes the mileage advantage and wears the engine faster.

I'd buy a V6 Ecoboost in a Flex but not in an Expedition. Right tool for the right job.