2016 3.5l Ecoboost ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathanielH

Reaction score
Have a loud tick when warmed up. Moves with rpm except when slowing down in city it's at about 1100 rpm but ticks are much higher. Only time ticks higher than matched with rpm. Tried stethoscope and hear it more from high pressure fuel pump line near intake valley and at vaccum pump. Not very much at front near cam phasers or on top of coils or any of the valve covers. Unplugged hpfp to eliminate it's noice and ticking is still there. But not at hpfp. Pcvs are cleaned maps and plug gaps rechecked. Forscan lite shows 200psi high pressure side idle highest is 870 wot and about 70ish low pressure side. No codes either.

Vehicle background: Recently bought dirt cheap, 276,000 miles, oil changed twice now and using motorcraft filter/ 5w30, new plugs and gap is 29, transmission filter and fluid changes pan and magnets cleaned, brand new vacuum pump. Weep hole in use.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a loud tick when warmed up. Moves with rpm except when slowing down in city it's at about 1100 rpm but ticks are much higher. Only time ticks higher than matched with rpm. Tried stethoscope and hear it more from high pressure fuel pump line near intake valley and at vaccum pump. Not very much at front near cam phasers or on top of coils or any of the valve covers. Unplugged hpfp to eliminate it's noice and ticking is still there. But not at hpfp. Pcvs are cleaned maps and plug gaps rechecked. Forscan lite shows 200psi high pressure side idle highest is 870 wot and about 70ish low pressure side. No codes either.

Vehicle background: Recently bought dirt cheap, 276,000 miles, oil changed twice now and using motorcraft filter/ 5w30, new plugs and gap is 29, transmission filter and fluid changes pan and magnets cleaned, brand new vacuum pump. Weep hole in use.

A defective idler pulley tensioner and/or idler pulley can cause a ticking noise. Is there any chance that that could be the cause?

You state there is a , “weep hole in use”. What do you mean by that?

OP
OP
N

nathanielH

Reaction score
Weep holes in the intercooler slow for heavy deposit of oil that collects there as a result from the recirculating of crank case pressure. It's a emissions thing. By weeping out the oil and sometimes water, it prevents it from entering the intake in mass. Plan on sealing back up and putting two catch cans after I see improvement of it. I will investigate the pulleys

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have run with a weep hole for over 100,000 miles with zero issues. And I used to get multiple cylinder misfires like crazy.

tacoduck

Reaction score

Sweet to see a 16 with that many miles. What’s the background? How does it ride? Any engine replacements?

OP
OP
N

nathanielH

Reaction score
Muddy bean I approve of them. Until I get proper catch cans etc it stays lol. Tacoduck it's showing more of it's true colors of owner neglect. I now have a slow speed thump what you think is busted tire belt but it's not. More than likely CV axle. Passenger tie rod needs replaced now has play. Drivers side wheel bearing now wiggles and get hum after 45 mph until I engage 4auto. Unplugged all coils one by one and find cyl 1 it makes double noise of possibly what may be causing my intial start of this thread. Rod Bearing yay. When I have time I will pull plug and do long ratchet extension piston test. Pulleys seem fine except I plan a belt next. Next gremlin found is mpg decided to not work for a 50 mile trip until I turned rig completely off then on. Did hit 26.1 mpg for that trip. Speeds 55 to short 35 to 55 then medium short 45 to 55. Mostly flat ground with few heart beat shaped hills. North Idaho back highways. I run motorcraft items 5w30 synthetic blend, filter. Ngk iridium plugs. Gapped 29. Still handles great. Had about 1250 lbs inside. Also great. 3.73 limited slip makes for best mpg below 55. Any higher it stays about 20-22. Small driver's seat tare but all seats are comfy being cloth. Has new headlights but crap bulbs. Few dings and work as a railroad runner so it has service holes and screw spots. Running stock tire size but Goodyear duratrac. Stock 17s. Octane 87.

OP
OP
N

nathanielH

Reaction score
Forgot. When cold it's not even tear to the sound level for the ticky tap. And when I unplug cyl 1 it doesn't make the double noise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65