2016 Expedition Strut Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the time has come the old girl has 80,000 miles on her now and she's in need of some work. I'm just wondering what brands people have used in the past on there rides. I'm kinda leaning towards the bilstein 5100 but I would love to hear people's feed back.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the time has come the old girl has 80,000 miles on her now and she's in need of some work. I'm just wondering what brands people have used in the past on there rides. I'm kinda leaning towards the bilstein 5100 but I would love to hear people's feed back.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Better ride quality
Option to lift it a little
And it’s Bilstein, can’t go wrong with them

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just put Rancho rs9000 easy lift, on my 2010 EL limited, with 145,000 miles. I am not sure if the limited used different struts or spring rates. IMO Other than the height, the only noticeable difference for me was cornering, bc they are new springs. These are adjustable dampening, I used setting 3 in front 5 in rear.
If I didn't have a bad upper control arm and inner tie rod, I would have been disappointed wasting the time and money.
The OEM parts seem to hold up pretty well overtime and mileage

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just put Rancho rs9000 easy lift, on my 2010 EL limited, with 145,000 miles. I am not sure if the limited used different struts or spring rates. IMO Other than the height, the only noticeable difference for me was cornering, bc they are new springs. These are adjustable dampening, I used setting 3 in front 5 in rear.
If I didn't have a bad upper control arm and inner tie rod, I would have been disappointed wasting the time and money.
The OEM parts seem to hold up pretty well overtime and mileage
This post is regarding a 2016, completely different strut setup

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
Are the struts really worn out at 81k already? That seems premature for them to be worn out that earlier to me. Wow.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This post is regarding a 2016, completely different strut setup
It is in the 3rd gen 2007-2017 post. How much could change ? I hope the newer vehicles are still using Independent suspension.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am wondering how people gauge the shocks to be worn out other than the obvious leaking. Does the truck bounce once after hitting a bump? Twice? Does it seem to ride wishy washy or does it really ride worse than it was, and worse than it was when? Maybe they are comparing to another vehicle or their wife's comments. Does it really need shocks/struts?

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is in the 3rd gen 2007-2017 post. How much could change ? I hope the newer vehicles are still using Independent suspension.
Specifically the lower strut mounts for front suspensions. Bolt pattern changed from a single bolt that ran horizontally through the lower shock mount to the new design for 15s and up that now have two bolts that are pressed vertically through the top of the lower strut mount. Some setups that are able to run on 2007-2014s WILL NOT be compatible with the newer 15s and up. Thts what I meant

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am wondering how people gauge the shocks to be worn out other than the obvious leaking. Does the truck bounce once after hitting a bump? Twice? Does it seem to ride wishy washy or does it really ride worse than it was, and worse than it was when? Maybe they are comparing to another vehicle or their wife's comments. Does it really need shocks/struts?
Yes I was trying to relay that. I figured if one control arm went the opposite side is probably close also, so I did both. I have terrible luck, and decided if I just do the control arms a few months later a strut will start leaking. It was easier to talk myself into preventative maintenance or "making the truck better". I found after 10 years and 145K miles the springs and struts seemed fine compared to the new. IMO