2016 Expedition with Satellite, Nav?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CFlow07

Reaction score
Hello all,

We just acquired a 2016 ford expedition limited. It has sync3 sirius satellite, but no NAV when i go through the menu. Talked to 5 dealers and got different answers. Some said I needed to add the Navigation module. Some said I needed to go after market. Another said i needed a new unit from FORD.

I just spoke with another parts department, and he said my unit says Minus Nav but I would only need an SD card update and the Navigation would show since Im wired for Satellite and have sirius.

Just need a little help determining the best way to move forward.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A limited with Sync 3 and no NAV

That seems odd to me

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did Expedition get sync3 in 16? The explorer definitely did not, only reason I’m asking.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The APIM is different between NAV and non-NAV SYNC 3 units. So it’s not just a software update.
According to the Ford 2016 brochure, Limited’s came with SYNC 3 without NAV, it was an optional or part of the 301A package.
You can find NAV APIMs for sale, but they’ll also require reprogramming to your as-built data. There are people that do it, I just don’t recall specifically where off the top of my head.
The big question is whether factory NAV is worth the cost versus just using Android Auto or CarPlay for navigation purposes.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an Android phone you can use Waze and project it on your main screen. If you have an iPhone you need to use the maps app to put it on the big screen.

Vankonk

Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 Expedition EL with sync 3 and no Nav. I did all the research and decided to go the Carplay route since I have an iPhone. You need to update sync 3 to version 2.2 (mine was still on version 1). If you use an iPhone, you also need to buy the updated usb ports for carplay which was like $75 at the local Ford dealer. Once I did all that, I use maps app from my phone.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 Expedition EL with sync 3 and no Nav. I did all the research and decided to go the Carplay route since I have an iPhone. You need to update sync 3 to version 2.2 (mine was still on version 1). If you use an iPhone, you also need to buy the updated usb ports for carplay which was like $75 at the local Ford dealer. Once I did all that, I use maps app from my phone.
Welcome to the Forum Vankonk! I only wish I could use Waze through the car play apps. I'm glad you were able to update your module. I really like the Sync 3 system.

Somewhere on here there is a whole thread about updating the USB ports, one of the members even posted a video.