1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Expedition XLT EL

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Eric Wheeler, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:26 PM.

1. Bigfishfin

Bigfishfin Full Access Members

As I recall from my research a couple of years ago, I counted the fins or tubes on the so called "HD" radiator an my standard issue radiator had the same count. The fluid capacity was something like 1 quart more. Did not compute to me to be much more than marketing...My truck has never overheated!...
    That is the ratio I have...One additional item is the 7 way plug...In my truck, the 10 gauge battery wire had been factory capped off in the loom just under the PB booster. Had to cut the loom, splice the wire and run it to the back. To keep things neat and protected I used flex conduit...Searching the forum will give you other insights to finding the EB loom, etc. which is plug in ready...

2. Eric Wheeler

Eric Wheeler Member

15k for a new engine. WOW. I’m sober now. That’s crazy. If I go that route warranty will be priority. That’s scared straight money.

3. Bigfishfin

Not wanting to influence anyone to make buying decisions, but consider the nature of "product insurance"...Insurance actuaries consider all cost/benefit aspects of a product when arising at market pricing for insuring a given product and the manufacturer of the product "never" loses in that insurance is also a product, with profit expectations!...In this case, if the Ecoboost engines or any other part of the vehicle were so highly failure prone, the premium/deductible costs would be so high that purchasers of the product, researching user experience and the huge premium/deductible costs of insurance would not purchase the vehicle in the first place. For what it is worth, I never purchase product insurance!

Let the discussion begin!...

lbv150 likes this.
  4. Eric Wheeler

Eric Wheeler Member

I love a good discussion. I see you point. But it's really piece of mind were are buying (To Me) when you think about it. Everyone want to have that rental car mentality when it comes to their car. If something happens I don't have to worry about it kind of thing. I really hate insurance, because it's no guarantee that you would be covered anyway. I want it to be reliable like a good hammer, always there when you need it. But that's not the case.

5. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Marinized Member Supporting Member

Anyone who says a 5.4 tows like crap hasn’t done much towing with gas engines. It’s a heavy duty cast iron block with a 4.11” stroke and peak torque @3,500 RPM. It’s about as good as it gets for a torque curve on a naturally aspirated gas engine of it’s size. A low revver which is desirable when towing and the cast iron architecture is very durable through heat cycles. The Eco def is a torque upgrade, but it’s much better off in the package with the extra cooling. For ease of turn key service without mods at least.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 12:39 PM
  6. Bigfishfin

Got the "peace of mind" concept, I struggle with that also, but I am sure I am not the only one who has broken a favorite hammer. Even with insurance, a broken engine is gonna inconvenience the owner. If the dice are rolling good (within mileage perimeters, covered item, etc.), maybe you win. If not, you spent a couple of thousand you could have thrown at the repair...

7. Eric Wheeler

Eric Wheeler Member

Well I got the 2016 Expedition EL. The Door sticker has 3L as the axle code but not the HD tow package. They are going to add the 7-Pin trailer wiring, it only had the 4 pin. But the Cable is right there for it. I turned off the ESC and give the turbos a good punch a couple of times. It spun the tires and no hesitation. I also got the Extended Warranty for what it's worth.

Boostedbus likes this.
  8. rjdelp7

rjdelp7 2000 XLT

2015-2016 have carbon build up issues. There is no easy/cheap fix for it and it triggers the CEL. Removing the heads is required. Don't walk away...run

9. Bigfishfin

And you will of course provide real world numbers to back up your doomsday statement?...

10. Eric Wheeler

Eric Wheeler Member

So here is a snippet from the window sticker. Class IV trailer tow pkg doesn't mean built in trailer brake or 7 pin connector. How hard or easy is it to add a OEM transmission cooler? Hopefully the trailer brake controller should be plug and play. I didn't check because they still have the truck to put the connector on.

upload_2020-6-30_7-57-12.png