2016 Platinum EL 4x4 Grinding while Turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Harris

Reaction score
Have a 16 EL 4x4 and while turning full crank there is some sort of grinding. Doesn't do it while in park just turning the wheel, its when driving. The slower you go the better you can feel/hear it. Had both front and back diff checked and CV joints. No issues were found and its driving my wife nuts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Does it click too? Even in 2wd mine kind of sounds like a manually shifted 4wd that I forgot to take out of 4x4 sometimes. I replaced my EPAS and front diff due to buying it totaled. I thought mine might have something to do with that. I haven't been able to test my locking hubs yet, but I suspect it might be those or something in the EPAS. Nothing appears out of place underneath and it drives beautifully other than at full lock.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not the EPAS. If it does it at full lock, get under the truck while your wife turns the steering wheel to full lock. Look behind the wheel for this little nub. It’s probably rubbing on the socket it fits into when your at full lock. It’s telling you your turning too far. This is probably the culprit. 2C6D9876-6E62-4433-9912-F8CC8B80E399.jpeg

If it’s not, check the 4WD vacuum lines that run from the solenoid down to each IWE and across the front of the engine. Any leak in this line will cause the 4WD gears to start to engage causing grinding. Lastly, it could also be clutch packs in rear diff. That was my culprit and they were covered and upgraded from a TSB on my 16 Platinum EL.