2016 trans fluid service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacoduck

Reaction score
Tranny has been acting a bit weird, especially while driving down hill on a steep grade. I took it to ford and asked for it to be serviced, and the tech said it was lifetime fluid and if I were to do a drain and fill, it could do more harm than good. It’s a 2016 with 92k miles on it, and I don’t know if the tranny was ever serviced. Thoughts?

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Owners manual shows 150,000 mile service for the transmission, front/rear axle fluids, and transfer case. I am assuming you have 4WD. I have 85k on the clock and the dealer typically tries to sell me these services at my oil changes. I politely state I am following the recommended intervals in the manual. Usually shuts them up.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
I would advise pulling the pan, replacing the ~7 quarts and filter, then putting a drain plug in your original pan while it’s off, or buying the dorman pan which has one installed. I can assure you the fluid iniside a 6r80 is not going to last 150k without severely breaking down.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What specific issues are you observing on downgrades? I haven't heard anything bad about the six speed. By all accounts, it's a very reliable transmission.

I've heard pressure flushing can damage internal components or dislodge contaminants, but drain and fill should be fine. I changed mine around ~138K before a big towing trip. At 148,000 now. No transmission issues. It's simple, but potentially messy. Just drop the pan, left the fluid run out, and reinstall pan and refill. I didn't bother putting a pan with a plug in. The fluid lasted for 130K and I won't change it again before swapping vehicles.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I change my tranny fluid every 50k-70k miles. I now have 248,*** on my 1st gen and I got to 295,*** on my 1992 BMW 735i.

I also change the diff fluid every 75k as well as the front transfer case fluid.

Oil is cheap, trannys are not.

OP
OP
T

tacoduck

Reaction score
I would advise pulling the pan, replacing the ~7 quarts and filter, then putting a drain plug in your original pan while it’s off, or buying the dorman pan which has one installed. I can assure you the fluid iniside a 6r80 is not going to last 150k without severely breaking down.
Link to the pan with the plug? Thanks!

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online