2017 - 100k mile report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
101k miles.
I had to replace a blend door actuator in the back AC at around 55k.
The backup camera works 20% of the time since about 70k.
The driver side rear shock has felt like a pogo stick over speed bumps since about 40k.
Feels like passenger side has joined it in the past 10k.
Now I've got a definite coolant leak out of what seems like the water pump area that started a month or so ago.

By 100k I had replaced the front center actuator and by 150k the one at the bottom the center stack had failed as well. My backup cam works, but cold, wet weather usually causes it to fail sporadically. I replaced 3 rear shocks in 110k. Bilsteins on there now. I had numerous coolant leaks by 100k at the usual hoses on the passenger side. Water pump gave up the ghost around 150k. I've had a myriad of other problems as well that would leave me hesitant to get another Ford unless I got a steal on it. It hasn't been a terrible vehicle, but it hasn't lived up to my expectations either.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We bought the Expedition because it was the best value of towing ability and comfort. Plus my wife was sick of minivans (3 in a row) and had long wanted an Expy.
I expected a few minor problems because…it’s a Ford…however the turbo coolant leak is appalling in terms of repair cost from a mechanic. The MPG is 13.5 around town with all terrain tires - 20 on the freeway. 98,000 miles.
Replaced rotors & pads, HVAC condenser and harness, blow off valve, satellite antenna, bent the exhaust heat shield to stop it from rattling.

Whenever we sell the trailer-I’ll dump this beast and get an economical SUV.

The power of the engine, despite the above, sure is fun!

Last edited:

TangaZulu473

Reaction score
You put a smile on my face.:) My 2017 Limited (bought w/51k) now has 87k and is my daily. You and I are about mirror images in maintenance, driving style, etc. except I haven't replaced brakes or rotors yet. Soon though, now that I tow a 5500lb Keystone every so often, I anticipate the time is coming. Honestly couldn't be happier with this truck for a whole host of reasons.

My previous daily was a little Escape suv that lasted 11 years without a problem until one of the CC's broke. And it STILL passed emissions inspection.;)

I will always own a Ford.

Calman2k

Reaction score
Have the '16 EL XLT. Have the std package (no HD tow), cloth seats, RWD, smaller sync screen, just about as basic as it gets with about 130k miles (bought it with about 43k from a Ford dealer). The only real issue I've had with the thing was after 115k miles the APIM went out. That was a pricey replacement. Had the 100k service at about 120k-ish, oops. The #3 piston plug got a small crack that caused some weird stuff on a road trip, but the car survived the trip home (just couldn't romp on the throttle to pass someone, sad day) and Ford replaced the bad plug for free.
I've hauled a car load of stuff, literally not one free square inch of space, plus a roof bag, all the way from the hellscape west coast to TN without a problem. My wife even slid off the road in Gallup, we just backed over our tracks and got back on the road. Its kept my family safe and I've hauled a bunch of stuff in it and a bunch of people, I'd for sure buy another one. Assuming I can afford it, these things are getting crazy expensive.

losttime1

Reaction score
20 MPG, WOW!! I'm very easy on my '17 Expedition and I'm lucky to get just under 16 MPG..

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@losttime1, might be dependent on roads, terrain, traffic you drive in, etc. I get 17-18 while pulling an open car trailer with a car on it. Terrain around here couldn't get much flatter.
Son has borrowed a couple of times for 100+ mile round trips, mostly freeway. He only gets around 18.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryspaygee