2017 doesn't downshift quickly enough, "lugs" when going up a hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly I use the kick-down feature in my 2012 like you're describing using the paddle shifters all the time. If I know I'm gonna need it to be in a lower gear I just floor it briefly and it does exactly what I want it to.

It's taken a little practice for me to get used to it (and probably a little while for the truck to learn a bit) but I can do it pretty accurately now.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Now that is helpful, thanks. Maybe I just wasn't understanding how it all works. I was under the impression (from driving our Explorer) that tapping "-" on the paddle shifter forced a downshift, otherwise the transmission was still working automatically and changed gears on its own after that. For the Expy, the owner's manual seems to say that shifting into "M" means you are taking over *all* shifting yourself, i.e. if you don't hit "+/-" you will just stay in the current gear.

I told you to put it in manual and use +/- on like the 5th post on this thread

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not the functionality I'm looking for. I don't want to completely take over and shift it through every gear like it's a manual transmission. All I wanted was an easy way to force a downshift without flooring it. Apparently that functionality is not available in '15-'17 models. Pressing the "-" button does NOT force a downshift (at least not in my truck) unless you've already used it to lock out all the gears above the one you are currently in.

For example, if you are in 3rd and you've already pressed "-" several times to lock out 6th,5th, and 4th gears, the next time you press "-" it will downshift into 2nd.

I have found a workaround to my situation by locking out the upper gears as I go up the hill. I still have to enable/disable different gears in different areas to get the performance I used to get automatically with the 5.4. Not as convenient to be sure but at least I can now keep the engine from lugging down.

Plati

Reaction score
From what I comprehend from this discussion, the EcoBoost needs paddles or +/- controls operated by the driver at "just the right time" in order to be in the appropriate gear? I just drive my 5.4L and it takes care of being in the right gear with no effort (or distraction) on my part.

From previous discussions, the Ecoboost needs to run Premium gas in order to achieve the rated gas MPG improvement over the 5.4L engine. Essentially negating any cost savings.

Also, from other discussions ... the Ecoboost also has issues with buildup of crud on valves due to Direct Injection.

I already had a bias against Turbo because its just another set of parts that can fail and not present in the 5.4L engine (so can't fail there). Also, ... turbo lag?

Now dont misinterpret this. I'm not bashing the Ecoboost ... a fine technology I'm sure. I'm just glad I ended up with a 5.4L in my 2014. I had wanted the Ecoboost but "settled" for the 5.4" since it was available in the used vehicle I found. In retrospect, I kind of feel like I lucked out. But I dont have an Ecoboost to compare on my own so I'm not a great judge of that.

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be fair, the transmission shift "issue" happens only in very specific circumstances, and from the feedback I've gotten here so far, it seems like it may only be happening to me. LOL But, at least in my truck, the transmission needs to downshift a little more quickly when under load IMO. My 2009 with 5.4 handled this situation perfectly. In the 7 years I had it, I went up and down our road daily and it never lugged down even once. So, yeah, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting my new 2017 with Ecoboost to perform at least as well.

I need to read up more on the Premium gas question. I've run regular so far and it does seem like I'm getting slightly less MPG overall than with the 5.4. I'd heard that the Ecoboost needs Premium mainly when the weather is hot. Definitely need to learn more about this. . .

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forced Downshifts
  • Allowed in drive (D) with the tow/haul feature on or off.
  • Press the accelerator to the floor.
  • Allows transmission to select an appropriate gear.

That's what I do. I don't even have SelectShift on my 2012. I just tap it to the floor briefly and back off it quickly so I don't make my passengers uncomfortable, and save some gas. ;)

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be fair, the transmission shift "issue" happens only in very specific circumstances, and from the feedback I've gotten here so far, it seems like it may only be happening to me. LOL But, at least in my truck, the transmission needs to downshift a little more quickly when under load IMO. My 2009 with 5.4 handled this situation perfectly. In the 7 years I had it, I went up and down our road daily and it never lugged down even once. So, yeah, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting my new 2017 with Ecoboost to perform at least as well.

I need to read up more on the Premium gas question. I've run regular so far and it does seem like I'm getting slightly less MPG overall than with the 5.4. I'd heard that the Ecoboost needs Premium mainly when the weather is hot. Definitely need to learn more about this. . .

My wife runs 87 in her 15 Platinum most of the time. When I drive it, I put 93 in it out of habit. Her average MPG on 87 is 16.8. My average MPG in her truck with 93 is 16.9. Neither of us drive her truck much on the highway, so that’s mostly city traffic driving. I do find her truck more responsive and quicker to my butt on the good stuff. But that could just be me.
In regards to the transmission tuning, my experience is that the Ecoboost is designed to let the engine lug more in order to let the turbos do their work.
I find it hard to judge, as my previous F-150 was tuned to downshift if RPM dropped below 2,500.
The tow/haul button suggestion would be worth trying as well. I haven’t used it in my Expedition even towing because my tune handles all that just fine, but in my F-150 it made it upshift later, downshift at less throttle and higher RPM, and increased shift firmness and speed pretty well, even on top of my existing custom transmission tuning I had done.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
In city and suburban driving I note my '17 does not up-shift into 6th as early as my '07 with the 5.4 did. Transmission runs smoothly and effortlessly and only the gear indicator on the dash gives away she's in 5th rather than 6th. The only reason I knos is I had an Interceptor scan gauge on the '07 to monitor cylinder head and transmission temperatures and it would indicate what gear I was in and the amount of transmission slip. (None of those four factors was ever an issue towing.)

-- Chuck

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We run mid grade in our EL. It runs fine on regular but with turbos, the Texas heat and my heavy foot, I just bump it up a bit. I notice no difference in fuel mileage. I have a Jeep Cherokee TH that hangs in third unless you come to a complete stop. If you roll-and-go, it tries to take off in third and as you press the go pedal a bit to much, suddenly lurches into 1st and you swallow your fillings. I'm experienced with delayed downshifting. It's a fine vehicle, otherwise, with the best AWD/4WD system I've ever used, even over the Audi, but now I'm chasing rabbits so back to topic...

On our '15 EL we do not have any issue with delayed downshifting, per-say. Now, if the turbo's aren't spooled and when you're just cruising and you give it the go juice, it will downshift the transmission and then the turbo's spool up giving the effect of a delay but it's actually not. It's just good ol' turbo lag.

I like playing with the manual shiftier and do it quite a bit. In fact my gear selector readout used to just say "D" but now it stays in constant select gear mode from start. I don't know how I made that happen but I like it. Anyway, when I know I'm going to be doing more, let's say, "spirited" driving, I like to drop two gears so the turbos stayed spooled and then there is not issue at all when I want to propel a 6000#, 4WD land yacht through the masses of the road zombies.