2017 Exp Plat - Poor ride quality with new CCD Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anthonyfebre001

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I previously owned a 2001 Navigator, a 2014 Exp XLT, and now have had my 17 exp Plat for about two years now, bought it second hand and have driven it up to 138k miles. Mechanically, the car runs great and has no issues or major repairs in the last 40k miles, only maintenance (Sparks, flushes, brakes and tires). The navigator had bags on it, and rode like a cloud. The 2014 was the base spring/shock setup and rode alright. When I originally bought the 2017, it was because I fell in love with the ride quality, and 3 months ago I had to replace the CCD shocks because 3/4 had blown out. The worsened ride quality is what led me to even get the car checked out. $3k in parts and labor later, the car rides worse, and it doesn't even feel like the shocks prevent any road feel.
Mechanic states that everything is installed correctly, and all relevant software/firmware was flashed appropriately. I don't believe them because I had to warranty one of the replaced shocks already. When switching between the three different ride controls, Comfort feels like the shocks are disconnected, Sport feels like I'm on a static build, and the Normal mode feels like the worst of both.
My understanding is that the CCD setup should help maintain a pretty level drive quality on a normal road, and that WAS the case when i bought the car but not any more. Havent been able to find any real data on how these setups get tuned, or if there is any aftermarket options for tuning, or if theres even a way to run a true diag on the setup (think a rolling test).
Every bump and pothole causes the car to shutter, and apparently a few other people have described similar issues in other threads. Have any other owners with the CCD had similar issues? Did you need to get the car retuned after new shocks? Did you notice any difference in quality? If you were able to finally get it fixed, what was it that did it?

Appreciate any feedback or help, thanks in advance.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you’re looking for that smooth Cadillac ride, I would switch the whole thing to a set of Bilsteins 24 series.

Dick Daigle

Reaction score
The 2017 is a unique beast and its hard to find aftermarket parts, especially suspension. The only thing that I found that was actually designed to be bolt on for that year is the ICON. I have heard others using combinations of Bilsteins, but I cannot confirm if they actually work on the 2017.