2017 Expedition - Can I pick your Brain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beckta10

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I picked up a 2017 Expedition with ~29,000 miles (~34,600 now) back in August 2018. It's an XLT, leather, 4WD, standard wheel base. We had it CPO'd prior to purchase so we have the 7 year/100k warranty. We were having trouble with our 2016 Honda Odyssey's transmission and after multiple trips to the dealer and not having any luck resolving the issue (it's normal, they say!) I did some searching online and found out Odysseys are known for transmission issues. Something about the design of the transmission causes the fluid to overheat and thus degrade. Anyway, I had always enjoyed my 88 F-150 and 95 F-150, liked my dad's 2010 F-150, and decided to give the Expedition a shot. So far, we love the vehicle, but we've had a few issues and I was hoping to run a couple of them by the wisdom of this forum.

First, probably the easy one. When you all switch the temperate in your vehicle can you hear the actuators moving? We are in the process of having the blower motor replaced under warranty and upon receiving the vehicle back I noticed this. I just happened to be sitting in complete silence when I was adjusting the temperature so I suspect I had just never noticed it before, but wanted to see what others had experienced. The blower fan isn't replaced yet because they had to order parts so they took it apart, confirmed it was defective, and then put it all back together because they did not have a loaner to give us and this is the only vehicle we own that will fit our family. I want to make sure something didn't go wrong when they put it back together and can bring this up when I return the vehicle to the dealer if it's an issue. I did do some searching and this is not the same as the actuator clicking I see others experiencing on this forum.

Second, probably the impossible one. A few weeks ago I started hearing a random squeak while driving. It appears to happen after accelerating while the engine is leveling out to cruising conditions. I cannot reproduce it, make it happen, or tell you under which circumstance(s) it occurs because it's that random. The only thing consistent about this noise is that it won't go away. It happens almost every time we drive at least once, but sometimes it doesn't happen and other times it happens multiple times. It appears to be worse when it's cold, but I just cannot pin this down. Since we are approaching the end of our bumper to bumper warranty I'm trying to figure out what this is so I'm not stuck paying for the repair later. Below is a video. About 6 seconds in you can hear a "whoop" sound. It's real quick and easy to miss. Does anybody have any ideas I can explore? I was going to mention it when the vehicle returns to the dealer but with nothing to go on I figure I'm going to get stuck with this issue.

A third issue is that the air stops coming out of the ceiling vents, but only under a very specific circumstance. If I use the Sync touch screen to turn the heat level to level 3 or higher, the air stops coming from the ceiling vents. I can turn the heat all the way up using the rear controls and it blows out just fine, but if I use the touch screen it shuts off at heat level 3 or higher. Note, I do mean heat level and not fan speed.

A fourth issue is intermittent stiff steering. I'm still able to turn the wheel fine, but the steering has gotten stiffer since we purchased the vehicle when trying to park in parking lots or like yesterday when I was trying to back my trailer into the garage. I've read about U-Joints in the steering shaft needing greased and I plan to address this with the dealer, but wanted to see if anybody else had heard of this and had any idea what it might be.

I apologize for the long post, but figured the more detail the better. I've been reading these forums since before we purchased the expedition as a way to research if we really wanted one or not so I'm confident you all will have good feedback.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you take it to the dealer it'll be unavailable for a month & a half if it's my local dealer. Ask for a loaner.
The 1st item: as long as it's not clicking ir rattling like baseball card in bicycle spokes you're good.
2nd turbo waste gate?
3rd wat the heck?
4th have you checked the power steering fluid level lately?

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sound is the wastegates, mine does it too, it sort of sounds like an owl. lol.

The stiff steering I would mention to the dealer... if there is a problem with the electric power steering rack (no power steering pump or fluid) it can get quite expensive rather quickly.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
#1: There is no clicking or anything. Normally the type of sound I’m hearing wouldn’t concern me but because I had never heard it before and I heard it right after getting it back I was concerned.

#2: I’ll mention the possibility of turbo waste gates and see what they say.

#4: Unless it’s hiding, this car doesn’t have power steering fluid. I think the steering is electric because I can’t find a power steering reservoir anywhere.

Thank you both for your responses. If anyone else has any thoughts please feel free to share. I’ll also update this thread when I have results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He’s right. Electric steering from 2015 on I think. No fluid. The air not coming from the vents could be the automatic redirecting of air depending on temp. If your climate system is needing to blow cool air, it usually comes out of the ceiling vents, if it needs to warm things up, it will, by default blow from the lower vent. My truck does this. I can override this by choosing the air flow via the buttons on the rear control panel. Otherwise it’s automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I picked up a 2017 Expedition with ~29,000 miles (~34,600 now) back in August 2018. It's an XLT, leather, 4WD, standard wheel base. We had it CPO'd prior to purchase so we have the 7 year/100k warranty. We were having trouble with our 2016 Honda Odyssey's transmission and after multiple trips to the dealer and not having any luck resolving the issue (it's normal, they say!) I did some searching online and found out Odysseys are known for transmission issues. Something about the design of the transmission causes the fluid to overheat and thus degrade. Anyway, I had always enjoyed my 88 F-150 and 95 F-150, liked my dad's 2010 F-150, and decided to give the Expedition a shot. So far, we love the vehicle, but we've had a few issues and I was hoping to run a couple of them by the wisdom of this forum.

First, probably the easy one. When you all switch the temperate in your vehicle can you hear the actuators moving? We are in the process of having the blower motor replaced under warranty and upon receiving the vehicle back I noticed this. I just happened to be sitting in complete silence when I was adjusting the temperature so I suspect I had just never noticed it before, but wanted to see what others had experienced. The blower fan isn't replaced yet because they had to order parts so they took it apart, confirmed it was defective, and then put it all back together because they did not have a loaner to give us and this is the only vehicle we own that will fit our family. I want to make sure something didn't go wrong when they put it back together and can bring this up when I return the vehicle to the dealer if it's an issue. I did do some searching and this is not the same as the actuator clicking I see others experiencing on this forum.

Second, probably the impossible one. A few weeks ago I started hearing a random squeak while driving. It appears to happen after accelerating while the engine is leveling out to cruising conditions. I cannot reproduce it, make it happen, or tell you under which circumstance(s) it occurs because it's that random. The only thing consistent about this noise is that it won't go away. It happens almost every time we drive at least once, but sometimes it doesn't happen and other times it happens multiple times. It appears to be worse when it's cold, but I just cannot pin this down. Since we are approaching the end of our bumper to bumper warranty I'm trying to figure out what this is so I'm not stuck paying for the repair later. Below is a video. About 6 seconds in you can hear a "whoop" sound. It's real quick and easy to miss. Does anybody have any ideas I can explore? I was going to mention it when the vehicle returns to the dealer but with nothing to go on I figure I'm going to get stuck with this issue.

A third issue is that the air stops coming out of the ceiling vents, but only under a very specific circumstance. If I use the Sync touch screen to turn the heat level to level 3 or higher, the air stops coming from the ceiling vents. I can turn the heat all the way up using the rear controls and it blows out just fine, but if I use the touch screen it shuts off at heat level 3 or higher. Note, I do mean heat level and not fan speed.

A fourth issue is intermittent stiff steering. I'm still able to turn the wheel fine, but the steering has gotten stiffer since we purchased the vehicle when trying to park in parking lots or like yesterday when I was trying to back my trailer into the garage. I've read about U-Joints in the steering shaft needing greased and I plan to address this with the dealer, but wanted to see if anybody else had heard of this and had any idea what it might be.

I apologize for the long post, but figured the more detail the better. I've been reading these forums since before we purchased the expedition as a way to research if we really wanted one or not so I'm confident you all will have good feedback.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Wanted to give everyone an update on what I’ve learned so far:

#1 - actuator noise is normal.

#2 - they could not reproduce the squeak (no surprise) so I did not get a diagnosis there.

#3 - they said the ceiling vents cutting off air and blowing from the rear housing only is normal when heat gets turned up that high. Interestingly, it blows just fine using the rear controls. Maybe it’s a safety thing?

#4 - they couldn’t find anything wrong with the steering but decided to replace the rack and pinion anyway. I’m still waiting on this to take place. Parts came in Friday and should be installed after Christmas. I can only assume they decided to do this out of an abundance of caution since steering is a pretty important component.

Bonus info - the expedition was in for other stuff as well I didn’t mention here. The hatch motor was replaced because the gate stopped opening all the way, the front blower motor was replaced (making noise when cold), the drivers side window has a squeak, and some trim pieces broke by the rear window. I went to pick the vehicle up Friday evening and when I got there they tried to start it and bring it to me and it was completely dead. No lights, nothing. They were able to jump it but since we don’t know what happened and we were heading out of town the next morning we took the loaner home instead of our car. A week or two prior to that while they were diagnosing other issues they checked the battery and it passed testing and they said it was fine. So, now I’m also waiting to hear if my battery failed or if there is some other issue. I’m starting to become concerned there is an electrical issue that needs diagnosed but I’m not entirely convinced. I did ask them to consider this possibility and look into it.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
So just out of curiosity, how long has the truck been at the dealership so far? @Beckta10

I took it in most recently on 12/17 and it will be there until at least 12/26.

The time before that it was being diagnosed and returned on 12/17 to be repaired. It was only there a day last time but I brought more issues to their attention when I brought it back 12/17 which led to ordering the steering rack.

I think all that made sense...if not let me know.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
I owe you all an update. Picked the expedition up last night. So far, new steering rack is nice and smooth. They also determined the battery was bad and replaced that under warranty. I’m happy to have it back and hope all is well from here on out!