2017 Expedition Limited 13K and Torque Converter Shudder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A coil misfire will be a lot more noticeable in higher gear or overdrive gears. But if its that bad the check engine light should have been flashing.

You should go ahead and get a scan tool as they are available online from china for under 20.00
Always nice to have a good idea where to start looking.

Mine shuddered and was dropping in and out of overdrive. The coil on cylinder #8 went bad therefore a misfire was present. The check engine light did not come on until later when I took it to the shop. The shudder went away when I hit the O/D off button. Mine is a 5.4L 3V Triton/ 6 Speed, so not related to the OPs truck which is why I didn’t post my past experience. Just sharing this because the misfire didn’t throw a CEL in my case.

Sorry I’m of no help, again different powertrains and drivetrains.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No help here, of course, as my '17 XLT 4x4 has not exhibited these symptoms. I have 14,000 miles on mine and it was probably built within a month of yours. Last 5 of my VIN is 585xx if that helps.

-- Chuck
Mine is 542XX

OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine shuddered and was dropping in and out of overdrive. The coil on cylinder #8 went bad therefore a misfire was present. The check engine light did not come on until later when I took it to the shop. The shudder went away when I hit the O/D off button. Mine is a 5.4L 3V Triton/ 6 Speed, so not related to the OPs truck which is why I didn’t post my past experience. Just sharing this because the misfire didn’t throw a CEL in my case.

Sorry I’m of no help, again different powertrains and drivetrains.
Interesting even though completely different powertrain and age shudder both went away when taken out of overdrive

OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update
Since it had been 3 days in the dealership with no word I contacted my salesman to intercede with the service department as I had not heard anything from anyone there and I was getting pretty steamed up and figured it best to get a 3rd party involved in the discussion to make any progress. Much to my surprise and satisfaction, when the salesman checked my Expedition was in the air with the transmission Valve Body labeled as the cause of the shuddering!!
I thanked the salesman for checking and he as well as I were shocked the shuddering actually was the transmission given the many years this 6 speed has been built though I had guessed that to begin with. The long manufacturing and service life this unit has had in Expeditions was one of the reasons I bought this (as opposed to a 2018 with a 10 speed new design) in the first place-so much for that logic.
If I learn anymore about specifics I will add it to this site "knowledge base". Thanks for everyone's input.​

OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update
Since it had been 3 days in the dealership with no word I contacted my salesman to intercede with the service department as I had not heard anything from anyone there and I was getting pretty steamed up and figured it best to get a 3rd party involved in the discussion to make any progress. Much to my surprise and satisfaction, when the salesman checked my Expedition was in the air with the transmission Valve Body labeled as the cause of the shuddering!!
I thanked the salesman for checking and he as well as I were shocked the shuddering actually was the transmission given the many years this 6 speed has been built though I had guessed that to begin with. The long manufacturing and service life this unit has had in Expeditions was one of the reasons I bought this (as opposed to a 2018 with a 10 speed new design) in the first place-so much for that logic.
If I learn anymore about specifics I will add it to this site "knowledge base". Thanks for everyone's input.​
Ok, picked Expedition back up today (1/7/19) pm. Seems to run ok, shudder gone, shifts snap nicely. Parts required besides fluid: AL3Z-7G276-D (valve body I believe) and 6L2Z-7G276-AA Connector along with 7 quarts trans fluid XT-10-QLVC
This valve body part number is listed to have been built from 2014-2017 so it is nothing new. No explanation voiced by dealer why it failed. Bill was $00.00 which was the only redeeming thing about this event, just glad it did not leave my wife and I on a very dark 40 mile journey between Florida and Alabama after midnight with any number of poor cell zones.

holeintheice

Reaction score
A little late the the party but the clutches in the converter dry out and chatter. If you put a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier in the transmission fluid, Chatter should go away in about ten miles. I work at a Ford dealership. Have a 17' myself and same issue when i bought at 98,000 miles. I did buy a warranty through Ford as rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Planning on driving it till needs a whole new unit though. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69