2017 Expedition Rear Suspension Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your wdh is NOT setup correctly. My trailer has a measured 900 pound tongue weight (tanks full of water) and my 17 expy only squats 1" in the rear from unloaded, and I have leaking rear shocks according to Ford from my recent oil change. Either your hitch height is wrong, or you don't have enough tension on the spring bars. You can raise the saddles on the trailer to put more tension if you have a flat bar type hitch, or go up more chain links if you have that style hitch. I have to use my power tongue jack to lift the trailer and rear of the expy pretty dang high to muscle my bars into place but it works well.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your wdh is NOT setup correctly. My trailer has a measured 900 pound tongue weight (tanks full of water) and my 17 expy only squats 1" in the rear from unloaded, and I have leaking rear shocks according to Ford from my recent oil change. Either your hitch height is wrong, or you don't have enough tension on the spring bars. You can raise the saddles on the trailer to put more tension if you have a flat bar type hitch, or go up more chain links if you have that style hitch. I have to use my power tongue jack to lift the trailer and rear of the expy pretty dang high to muscle my bars into place but it works well.

I agree with Coolzzy here. I tow a 30' camper with about 700 lb. tongue weight and an Equalizer WDH. Rear end drops about an inch and only about half inch lift in front. The WDH was originally set up for my son in law's F150 but our receivers are in the exact same spot so I just hook up and go. Works great and have never had sway issues. I do have the CCD suspension and find the Normal setting best for towing.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a husky centerline TS hitch and have zero rise in the front when the bars are set. The key is hitching the ball, and then using the trailer jack to lift the rear of the vehicle and front of trailer above level before you put the bars on and lower the jack. I've seen sooo many people hitching up at the campgrounds by just slapping the round bars in and setting their wdh chains without using the trailer jack. That's maybe fine if you have a 1 ton long bed pickup, but anything else needs to be done correctly to minimize sway and sag and not compromise handling. And if you have flat bars, like with an equalizer or my centerline, you have to spend some time on level ground getting the hitch and saddle heights set correctly. Then you'll never have to mess with them again until you change vehicles or trailers.

wingrider

Reaction score
I have not weighed it, and since I am trading it in I don't care.....I had a 2011 expedition that rode better pulling the same trailer. Total weight on the new trailer is similar so I am hoping the tongue is as well, but I still need to improve on this.

I love driving this Expedition, but hate towing with it.

Hearing more of these stories makes me want to keep my 2012 and not trade up to newer. I tow an enclosed car trailer frequently and the rear air suspension works really well. Only draw back is sometimes it's a little slow to get up to ride hight after the trailer is attached, but I can live with it and just wait. Having to add Sumo products just seems like a step backwards for something that should just be an awesome tow vehicle. Even my '99 towed well with that system. Miss the 4 wheel lift in 4 low....

Fred Moore

Reaction score
I was considering SumoSpring inserts, but their score is currently -1 in this forum. Is there anyone using them that can report a positive results?

I have a 2017 King Ranch and a Reese WD, anti-sway hitch, and pull a 28’ travel trailer (probably 33’ with tongue and bumper) with no real problems, but would like to lift the rear-end of the Expy just a bit.

Fred Moore

Reaction score
Oldnerdguy,
Thank you for the reply and opinion. I will order a set of SumoSprings and installed them before my next trip.

If I may be sold bold--what was the part number that you ordered? My Expedition is Two Wheel Drive. If I go to SuperSprings, they do not have a model for a 2WD 2017 Expedition, just two part numbers for differently sized models.

I hope that my experience mirrors your. Long article--yes, but full of good information.

OP
OP
R

Randymac

Reaction score
So my WDH was the same set up on my 2011 Expy as on the new one. I have made some adjustments with the newer vehicle but didn't seem to matter much. I had the trailer guy check it as well. My take on all of this is that the OEM "load leveling shocks" that are on the 2017 are crap. Seems to be limited replacement options for the 2017, but anything besides these should be better. I'm trading in the old trailer in tomorrow and will bring home the new, so we'll see how it goes. I'm hopeful the sumo springs with the WDH will be a better ride.

Has anyone put replacement shocks on a 2017 (Limited)? If so, what did you replace them with?

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am still looking for a solution to my sagging rear end!

The OEM manual load leveling shocks do nothing for my situation. I tow a trailer with maybe 600 lbs. of tongue weight. I have a weight distribution hitch and the full towing package, and my back end squats terribly. While still under warranty Ford had no solution or options. The companies that sell online have no options for my 2017. (When you put in the year and model all of the options disappear). I have reached out to most major suppliers vie email and either got no response or no we cant help. I have asked the place that serviced this and previous Expedition and they have no solutions. Had the trailer guy who does this for a living look at my set up and he had no solutions. (in fact told me he recently had a new F-150 with a similar problem).

Someone out there has solved this for a 2017. Please tell me how. Picking up a new trailer with similar weight in a week or so and want to overcome this issue.

You could always add air suspension to the rear only. They make kit for air bag over strut just google it. Also you can check and call or email http://www.universalair.com/ they make kits for any truck or car.