2017 Expy Can you upgrade from halogen to HID headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, until that fan goes out.

Never had a single issue with any HID kit I've ever used over the past 14 years going back to the first set I ever installed back in 2005 in my Colorado. I have had lot's of LED interior bulbs, and LED house hold bulbs fail on me tho.
Been 2 years with two 2016 Expeditions both with full interior exterior LED conversions and never once had a light issue. Buy quality products get quality results, HIDs are better retrofitted. Not in stock housing. They burn the lenses and aren’t very reliable

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
No problems or issues at all with the HID’s I installed. Tremendous light output, nice well defined top cut-off with the projectors, match the fog light color temp perfectly. No ‘burning’ or any discoloring of the housings or lenses whatsoever. The few times I’ve checked them the ballasts run cool- just slightly warmer than ambient. The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, until that fan goes out.

Never had a single issue with any HID kit I've ever used over the past 14 years going back to the first set I ever installed back in 2005 in my Colorado. I have had lot's of LED interior bulbs, and LED house hold bulbs fail on me tho.

They both have pros and cons...I think at this point they’ve gotten close enough that it’s just a preference question now

Personally, I’ve never had a HID kit that hasn’t failed at some point, but when they work they're the best. I’ve been running LEDs for 6 months now and they give me slightly less light than the HIDs but their still leaps and bounds better than stock.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My HIDs (in all 3 of my cars) all have a slight warm up period making instant On LEDs a better choice for high beams. I'm told HIDs dim over time but the 13-year old set in one car is still bright. No HID problems in the 5-year old car but the halogen high beams had to be replaced earlier this year. HIDs and LEDs in the Expedition have been there almost a year but the truck runs well under 10K miles a year. Dramatic improvement over OEM.

The LEDs have dramatically improved the last year or two and filament placement in some of the better bulbs fits the reflector's beam patterns very well. Finding the right bulbs isn't as simple as buying halogens at AutoZone.

-- Chuck

Fred Moore

Reaction score
Based on the recommendation from 16plati, I visited the diode dynamics SL1 website. Please forgive my ignorance, but does my 2017 King Ranch Expedition have projector or non-projector headlights? What's the difference anyhow?

And....I have searched the forum but did not see anything that definitively explained things sufficiently.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on the recommendation from 16plati, I visited the diode dynamics SL1 website. Please forgive my ignorance, but does my 2017 King Ranch Expedition have projector or non-projector headlights? What's the difference anyhow?

And....I have searched the forum but did not see anything that definitively explained things sufficiently.

8858D7BD-CCF0-45C3-BE20-72E62ED37041.jpeg

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Projector has the little round bulb housing like picture above. So gear above have projector low beams and reflector high beams. Also if you go out to your expedition and look at the bottom of your headlight housing you will see stamped into the headlight lenses what size bulb each one is. They will be stamped directly below where the bulbs are, that way you don’t have to remove the housing and dust cap to see what size bulbs you need

OP
OP
Stotadude

Stotadude

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies and experiences. I'm weighing between LED and HID and hope to decide soon. I'm 71 and assume this is something I can do myself. I was in electronics for about 20 years or so.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies and experiences. I'm weighing between LED and HID and hope to decide soon. I'm 71 and assume this is something I can do myself. I was in electronics for about 20 years or so.
LEDs are plug and play, not all the ballasts fit behind OEM dust cap perfectly though. I can verify any info about diode dynamics SL1s if needed as that’s what I run