2017 Expy EL roof rack removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njja

Reaction score
Hi

I've mostly lurked and had a question so I'm posting.

My garage door height doesn't allow my 2017 EL to get in, with factory roof racks being the main impediment.

Rather than readjusting the garage door frame, I'm thinking to remove the roof racks as I don't use the truck for purpose. Barely any towing or large items hauling on the roof.

I was wondering how easy is it to remove for a novice and are there any steps to take to make sure the top doesn't get rusted or suffer leaks?

I've looked for videos but found none.

All I ask is please explain to me like you would to a high school kid who doesn't know much about cars but is beginning to enjoy DIY. Plain and simple English without technical jargons. Haha.

Thank you.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4EEB56D3-925C-4BAE-AAFE-8334E38F7B1B.jpeg
Maybe this can help clarify how it’s attached. Nutserts (basically nuts you push into a drilled hole) in the roof itself, with large screws hidden under the plastic trim. Pop off the plastic trim and you’ll be able to take those screws out and off it will come.
I’ve never taken mine off, so I’m not sure if the gaskets between the rails and the roof are strictly to keep it from rubbing against the body or as a means of keeping water out. Maybe someone else has done it, otherwise you’ll have to pull it off and see what you have. At the very least, I’d think you’d want to use silicone around the nutserts and thread sealant on the screws to keep water out.

OP
OP
njja

njja

Reaction score
View attachment 23375
Maybe this can help clarify how it’s attached. Nutserts (basically nuts you push into a drilled hole) in the roof itself, with large screws hidden under the plastic trim. Pop off the plastic trim and you’ll be able to take those screws out and off it will come.
I’ve never taken mine off, so I’m not sure if the gaskets between the rails and the roof are strictly to keep it from rubbing against the body or as a means of keeping water out. Maybe someone else has done it, otherwise you’ll have to pull it off and see what you have. At the very least, I’d think you’d want to use silicone around the nutserts and thread sealant on the screws to keep water out.

Hi there. Thank you for the detailed and clear response. The diagram sure helps. Now I gotta go and see if I have the right drivers for the kind of screws they have on there.

For me this might end up with a long tail but I'll try to report back once I'm through with this.

For now, I'm now evaluating whether I should remove those things or not. Obviously for me it will depend upon a few factors, including how easy/quick it is to put it back on if needed, the damage or the look post-removal, and if I'm exposing any particular sections of the roof to rusting and leaking.

I can't imagine starting on removal and not completing it merely because I lacked the skill or a needed tool.

I really want to park it inside the garage but it is proving to be a challenge. The brick portion of the garage has enough height. The stupid installers put the tracks well below the headspace on the brick and mortar opening.

Thank you again.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
768DBCC9-68B4-4DF8-B415-BE79324958C9.png It will look hideous just like this Tahoe you will have a few holes to plug that may leak in the future as well

OP
OP
njja

njja

Reaction score
View attachment 23378 It will look hideous just like this Tahoe you will have a few holes to plug that may leak in the future as well

Lol @ hideous.

I realise the look will not be as good but I got no other option it seems like. I have another single garage that it fits height wise but there width wise daily in and out will be a pain because I have to fold both side view mirrors coming in and out and it's not ideal.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don’t have to plug the holes, there are rubber grommets that go around the screws, you just screw them back into the empty holes, that will seal it up nice.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took mine off years ago on my 2009 (racks are the exact same), no issue and very easy to put back on. As stated, just thread the bolts back in and leave it.

Michael McC

Reaction score
I removed the racks on mine and replaced them with custom aluminum powder-coated racks. There are 3 sets of mounts. My new racks only use the front holes. I put the screws back in the back holes. No issues with leaking. I think I added some Loc-Tite or similar thread sealer.

The aluminum racks are a low-profile alternative to bolting Thule or Yakima racks on the factory racks. The truck fits in the garage even with a small 2" lift and 1" taller tires. A local shop built them for about $250, and the powder-coating was about $60. Cheaper than Thules. Very happy with the results.

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

Plati

Reaction score
Forgive me if these are non workable ideas, not having seen your garage. Can you call a garage door company and ask them to reinstall door higher? Also ... I couldn't get my Expy in my garage until I just pushed the door up a little higher. If it was garage door opener might just be adjusting stop position.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My garage is physically too short. It would require cutting concrete and re-framing. Not cheap.