2017 Limited Front End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Derr

Reaction score
When traveling straight or in a left turn, I have a slight rumbling noise like big-lugged, mudder-type, tires (I have Michelin LTX, not noisy tires). However, when turning even the slightest right turn, the noise goes away completely. This has been going on for a while, but this is our "extra" car, so it doesn't get driven as often as the others. But, we just came back from an 1800 mile round trip, and this gets a bit annoying. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

ChiefsFanInMD

Reaction score
Mine was doing this, mainly on left hand turns, then started on rights as well. Took it in to the local dealer and they
did a rear diff fluid change and added a friction modifier. Told me that the clutch in the rear diff was grabbing and this was the fix per Ford.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When traveling straight or in a left turn, I have a slight rumbling noise like big-lugged, mudder-type, tires (I have Michelin LTX, not noisy tires). However, when turning even the slightest right turn, the noise goes away completely. This has been going on for a while, but this is our "extra" car, so it doesn't get driven as often as the others. But, we just came back from an 1800 mile round trip, and this gets a bit annoying. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I agree with the chief, start with fresh fluid and friction modifier. Pretty easy to do yourself, might take some mileage to make the vibration go away. Could be that simple if you have the LSD. Otherwise likely bigger issue with the rear.

crash121ss

Reaction score
I had a similar noise from the front end up until today. It would make the noise when going straight and turning right at lower speeds. I did some reading on here and found that a lot of people have problems with the vacuum check valve for the locking hubs. I stopped by the dealer and picked up a new one and replaced it in less than five minutes. It was still making the noise when I left for work this morning so I engaged the 4x4 for a minute then went back to 2wd... hasn't made the noise since. This may or may not be your problem, but it seems to be a common problem on these

OP
OP
D

D Derr

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Crash121ss. Will keep this in mind if the rear diff oil change doesn't take care of it - I need to change the diff oil, anyways.

OP
OP
D

D Derr

Reaction score
OK, sorry for the late reply - have been very busy. Anyways, the problem was the left front wheel bearing. Replaced it and all is good.... and quiet.

Thanks everyone.

Plati

Reaction score
I was thinking that but when my rear wheel hubs were going bad (both) on my 2003 ... They only made rumble when turning.