2017 Lost Coolant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I changed my oil & checked coolant level. Wife is main driver of this truck, she tells me the loud radiator fan was back. So I pop hood to see if coolant was low, the overflow was empty! I added around 3/4 of a gallon. 2 days later it needed another 1/2 gallon. I never seen any sign of leaking? A few more days pass, I discovered a large puddle under the passenger side of engine, and could see dripping, while truck was parked and not running. Overflow bottle still only down about 1/2". Since I have a warranty I took it to dealer, last Friday.

Dealer calls me within hours of dropping it off, asking me why I thought it had a leak? They tell me they see no signs of leak, and that its holding pressure? They decide to keep it over the weekend & recheck it. Well today I never get a call, so I decide to call them and see what's up. They apologize for not calling me sooner, and then tell me still no leak and held pressure all weekend. BUT, there's a lot of white smoke now!

So they went from no leak or problems on Friday, to finding internal leak today, but still not sure what it's from!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d bet your water pump is leaking while the engine is running.

Mine did - but the dealer claimed there was no leak when pressure tested.

I returned the vehicle and insisted they put it on a lift. The technician quickly saw the dried coolant residue near the water pump. The water pump was replaced under the Ford Premium Extended Service Plan.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d bet your water pump is leaking while the engine is running.

Mine did - but the dealer claimed there was no leak when pressure tested.

I returned the vehicle and insisted they put it on a lift. The technician quickly saw the dried coolant residue near the water pump. The water pump was replaced under the Ford Premium Extended Service Plan.
Thanks for the reply. Isn't the water pump near center or drivers side? My leak was on the passenger side, i was thinking turbo cooling line? Also I wouldn't think the pump would cause white smoke out the exhaust? Dealer also claimed they had it on a lift, and seen no sign of a leak last Friday. Suppose to be having a better tech look at it tomorrow. I hope they get it sorted out quickly, as I leave for the Nascar race in Tn. weds and hate to leave the wife without her truck. Dealer did provide a Edge for a courtesy vehicle, but she's fun size, and really needs electric pedals to drive w/out being on top of the wheel.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Isn't the water pump near center or drivers side? My leak was on the passenger side, i was thinking turbo cooling line? Also I wouldn't think the pump would cause white smoke out the exhaust? Dealer also claimed they had it on a lift, and seen no sign of a leak last Friday. Suppose to be having a better tech look at it tomorrow. I hope they get it sorted out quickly, as I leave for the Nascar race in Tn. weds and hate to leave the wife without her truck. Dealer did provide a Edge for a courtesy vehicle, but she's fun size, and really needs electric pedals to drive w/out being on top of the wheel.

Yes - water pump front and center.

I also had a left side turbo cooling line leak, although the leak was small (at a different time). I was covered under my Ford ESP and it is a labor-intensive repair.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
White smoke means burning coolant. Have the dealership check the cooling system for combustion gas.
I've personally never seen it smoke. They went from no issues last Friday, to white smoke on Monday. As of now they still have no answer for me. I stopped by yesterday to retrieve my lawn chair for the race. I asked the service manager for a update while there. He told me there still waiting on there engine expert to look at it. So far today no call again. In fact they have only called me back 2 times last Friday, stating no issues found, and agreed to keep it the weekend to re check on Monday Am. I had to call them Monday afternoon, they did apologized for not calling, but gave me the white smoke news. I'm starting to loose patience with them...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've personally never seen it smoke. They went from no issues last Friday, to white smoke on Monday. As of now they still have no answer for me. I stopped by yesterday to retrieve my lawn chair for the race. I asked the service manager for a update while there. He told me there still waiting on there engine expert to look at it. So far today no call again. In fact they have only called me back 2 times last Friday, stating no issues found, and agreed to keep it the weekend to re check on Monday Am. I had to call them Monday afternoon, they did apologized for not calling, but gave me the white smoke news. I'm starting to loose patience with them...
I feel your pain. Bought my wife a Jaguar I-Pace. We've only had it for three days in the 4 weeks since we took delivery.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 Expedition does the same thing, loses coolant out of the tank but no obvious signs of a leak. Mine does not push white smoke though. Please keep us/me updated as to what the dealer finds.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have an open mind when looking for a leak; very open mind with broad imagination. I had a leak under my vehicle on passenger side as well. Long story short… ended being the driver side coolant fitting on top of the turbo. Didn’t figure this out until I had the entire passenger side wheel well ripped out in preparation to pull the turbo so I could replace the fitting, and O-ring.

As I got in there closer everything looked clean and dry. Did find a flow path… followed it to the driver side. Crazy how that happens.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes - water pump front and center.

I also had a left side turbo cooling line leak, although the leak was small (at a different time). I was covered under my Ford ESP and it is a labor-intensive repair.
Okay well it was in fact the water pump! I guess it just took my dealer a week to figure it out. I've been busy with going out of state for the races, the wife picked up the truck Friday. I need to go out and look at it, as I'm not sure if the pump on these are internal or externally driven. If its internal and leaks that would make since to me, about the white smoke "that dealer reported". Also if it is a internal driven water pump, should I be concerned with any internal damage to motor, from coolant leaking through?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire