2017 used or 2018 new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raphy

Reaction score
I test drove a 2018 limited which feels good to me. But the sticker is $73000 and it’s the only car the dealer has. I searched online within 100 miles. The inventory looks very low. The dealer told me the max discount is 1-2k off MSRP. Oh man, that’s astounding. I was thinking if I can get and XLT with 202A package within $55k. It looks almost impossible.

Then I looked around the used cars. It seems I can get a 2017 limited CPO with ~50k miles by $30000. Wow, it seems so appealing.

I know the 2018 is a new gen. But it’s so pricy. If the 2017 drives similarly, I can save $40k. The 2018 improved MPG but this is not a issue for me. I probable only drive 10k miles a year. Gas cost does concern me.

Give me some ideas please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a no brainer, I’d go 2017. The 18’ is new and shiny but in no way worth double the money on the best day. Either that or wait for the new gen to start dropping though it’s taking its sweet time.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like ya J, but gotta disagree.The 18 is well worth the 73k asking price. Tested a few 17s before getting my 18, glad i waited and paid the extra. Gas mileage is fantastic for a vehicle that size(did a 400 mile round trip to ny yest, avg 25 for the trip doing 70). Also, my fuel costs have drastically gone down from my 09 nav, tank is smaller and i avg 3 mpg more in mixed driving(14 - 17+). Also, though you may not be looking at competitors, but none can be had for much less with same feature content, and none drive as well. But for less you can get a crossover.

The 17s are nice as however, but are pretty dated by todays auto stds(see comparison tests with sequoia, best reference pt for 17 expy as compared to auto industry). If you dont mind the out of date architecture and interior of the 17, the price is great, design is classic, bones are good still, amazingly comfy and they drive just almost as good as the 18s, and by extension better than its competitors bar the armada.

Im a millienial so i guess the tech influenced me and my wifes decision(after driving 17 either we were getting an 18 or getting another vehicle pd), but if you werent planning on getting the tech(most tech is opt on 202a so don't know if you were wanting those) but if you dont mind not having the tech and plan on keeping her for 6+ yrs, get a 17 and use the money you saved to mod it out. Lastly, in de, theres a few dealerships in the dover and surrounding area with many older 18 xlts, a cpl are 202s and fx4s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raphy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The one Mike posted looks a very good deal. But I’m in southern CA. Let me email the local dealers to see if I can get a similar deal.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was out the door with an XLT Max 4x4 with the201A package and White Platinum paint for $58500. MSRP was $60,940, so before taxes, license it was in the $55K range. But the Max is +2700, 4x4 is +$3000, whereas the 202A package is $4100 more than the 201A. So, you should be able to get one for about $53000 plus taxes, etc.

OP
OP
R

Raphy

Reaction score
I prefer a XLT 4X4 with 202A package. Within 100miles I only found two cars online. Both MSRP is around 63k. Not sure how much discount I can get. Across different makes, usually the discount can be around 10% off MSRP or even more at this price range. I’m not sure if I can get it since the inventory is so low.