2017 XLT - Check Charging System warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatMad

Reaction score
Bought my 2017 XLT used earlier this year. All fine until CCS warning appeared ten days ago. Voltage at battery terminals 12.6V with engine off, 13.5V at idle. Battery looked to be original, so I replaced it new and cleaned up all the connections around the battery terminals. Same voltages and CCS warning still comes on.

Took to local Ford dealer. They came back and said needs new alternator, $1040 repair. Asked how they knew it was bad alternator and did they check other elements of the charging system. Assured me that yes the alternator checks out with bad readings (or some wording like that). I said ok if root cause definitely isolated to the alternator.

Next day I called before going to pick it up only to find they installed new one and CCS warning still coming on, so looking into further. Called me back later to say the tech simply forgot to reattach a ground wire somewhere, but now it's all fixed.

So, is it reasonable for me to be a little suspicious that they threw a $650 alternator at it which didn't fix it then found a corroded connection somewhere that was the real root cause? I asked them to bench test the old alternator to prove it's not working right. Waiting now to hear back. Will also ask them what were voltage drops in the pos and neg lines between alt and battery. Any other thoughts on this? Don't mind paying for new alternator if the old one's faulty, but just not yet convinced it was. Thanks.

RandoCitizen

Reaction score
Hello, Any updates on this issue? I replaced my battery last week and did not reset the Battery Management Sensor bc i didn’t know it was a thing! Now I’m getting the Check Charging System light followed by a battery light. Wondering if not resetting the sensor blew out my alternator or if it’s a simple fix.