2018 expedition max coolant temp fluctuating ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shutters are a known issue on the smaller cars especially in areas with parallel parking. Lots of busted shutter systems due to cars backing into the front of parked cars. With the Expedition and having a better bumper and more space behind the bumper, it could be a fuse or mucked up shutter thats stuck.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Not seeing any fluid or leaks anywhere. The very bottom shutters opens when engine turned off. When turned on the very bottom close, I turned on A/C full blast and the very bottom shutters stayed closed. Thanks for all the help

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not seeing any fluid or leaks anywhere. The very bottom shutters opens when engine turned off. When turned on the very bottom close, I turned on A/C full blast and the very bottom shutters stayed closed. Thanks for all the help

Bottom shutters are for the intercooler, so they probably stay shut until it boost.

Does your radiator fan kick on with the AC?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Neither did I. Apparently, it only leaks when the system is pressurized.

donnie24

Reaction score
2018 max with 22k miles—-Not towing and whenever I accelerate going on highway (turbo engaged) temperature shows 232 (highest it went was 238) and then whenever I let off gas goes back to middle and no number shows. Is this normal for everyone else? No leaks and coolant level is at max
Resurrecting and old thread.
Just bought a 2018 expedition and having the exact same problem you are describing. Did you ever find resolution to this issue?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Resurrecting and old thread.
Just bought a 2018 expedition and having the exact same problem you are describing. Did you ever find resolution to this issue?
This is the thermostat sticking. Ford updated the design slightly with thermostat RT1252

donnie24

Reaction score
This is the thermostat sticking. Ford updated the design slightly with thermostat RT1252
I should've mentioned I already changed the thermostat and saw no improvement. Also have checked and monitored the shutters-wide open going down the road.
Radiator seems warm on the upper hose and cool on the lower hose so have ruled that out.
Would like to get my hands on cooling system diagram of this engine to decipher the rats nest of tubing and how it's supposed to work.

Last edited:

silverx0ne

Reaction score
My 2018 (hd tow) does this as well. I towed about 7k about 1300 miles and had this occur under load (grade). Once leveled out back to showing no numbers. I am now noticing it during regular driving when boosting and up grade (even without towing). The actual gauge stays perfectly center so I've always assumed it was still good to go. My coolant levels are normal, car heats up and cools off fine.

Interesting thread..