2018 Expo VS 2021 Tahoe test drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the old Tahoe a lot better as far as looks. The LS series motors like the 6.2 are pretty damn good mills, tough to take that away from GM. Ford sort of followed suit and scaled up GM’s modern pushrod V8 architecture when they made the new 7.3L V8 for the Super Duty, some similarities. The 7.3 utilizes a longer stroke (like the old 5.4 Triton and 5.8 Trinity) to make low end torque. This is where it differs from engines like the 5.0 or 6.2 with their respective short strokes that love to rev. Naturally aspirated is not synonymous with lacking low end torque..... As far as the comment on the chevy feeling more sluggish I have a theory— weight is up from 2020 models. I’ve read GM has added several hundred pounds in curb weight making a longer truck. They’ve chopped it up a bit with the new L87 too....there is a higher hp/torque version with 470 lb ft if you get the performance upgrade pack on the Silverado pickups, not sure why they wouldn’t make that standard on already pricey trucks or if it’s even offered on Tahoe.

Last edited:

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
Yeah, Just finished watching it. That is embarrassing! The TC couldn’t even figure out that and move it forward some. Pretty bad!

Fail! Maybe they will bring a locker to the AT4 version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I read in one of the reviews That Chevy/GM plan on adding the locker in the next year or so. Along with some other features.

getting this year’s buyers to trade in next year? Sheesh!

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
Roughly 6:50 on the attached video shows no locker on the Z71 Tahoe. Seems like a pretty major miss from Chevy.

Coming from a Tundra I don't feel lockers are 100% necessary in all Off-Road applications, but you need to have a 4WD system that can work without it. The Tundra's works, clearly this does not. Wow.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the old Tahoe a lot better as far as looks. The LS series motors like the 6.2 are pretty damn good mills, tough to take that away from GM. Ford sort of followed suit and scaled up GM’s modern pushrod V8 architecture when they made the new 7.3L V8 for the Super Duty, some similarities. The 7.3 utilizes a longer stroke (like the old 5.4 Triton and 5.8 Trinity) to make low end torque. This is where it differs from engines like the 5.0 or 6.2 with their respective short strokes that love to rev. Naturally aspirated is not synonymous with lacking low end torque..... As far as the comment on the chevy feeling more sluggish I have a theory— weight is up from 2020 models. I’ve read GM has added several hundred pounds in curb weight making a longer truck. They’ve chopped it up a bit with the new L87 too....there is a higher hp/torque version with 470 lb ft if you get the performance upgrade pack on the Silverado pickups, not sure why they wouldn’t make that standard on already pricey trucks or if it’s even offered on Tahoe.

I agree GM's Better LS series are amazing, but they only put the low output stuff in their trucks. It they let a 6-700 Horse unit slip into a performance based pickup, I'd have one.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gear selector wasn't horrible. I'm not a fan of it, but its pretty easy to use.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just watched the Doug review... meh, not bad for a rental.
That was kinda my takeaway as well. There was nothing I saw (other than the configurability of the center screen in the gauge cluster and maybe the infotainment in general) that stood out to me as significantly better than my platinum Expi. Granted, I am sure Doug ignored some things, i.e. the inclusion of a HUD, but still...it seems like a perfectly fine SUV. Driving experience, as @Deadman has pointed out previously in this thread, may be where it shines over the Expi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50