2018 Expo VS 2021 Tahoe test drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife is looking at a large SUV, and we almost bought a 2nd Expedition this week. I told her that the new GM stuff was being released real soon and that I wanted to at least drive one to know we weren't making a mistake.
So yesterday we found a 2021 Tahoe High Country to test drive. The suburbans aren't out yet, but we would consider buying the Suburban or Denali XL length.

First off, I'm keeping my 2018 expedition, because I really like it. This would be a second vehicle purchase.

On the test drive, I found very few differences that amounted to much. Both vehicles were very similar, but one thing stood out like a sore thumb, the REAR SUSPENSION. My Expedition with CCD leans horribly left and right on driveway approaches and offsets in the roads. This GM didn't do that AT ALL. I was soooooo impressed, and my wife was blown away.
The 6.2L is LAZYYYYYY. We drove it in town, so we couldn't get it revved to the moon where it makes its power. My 3.5L would smoke it in town, hands down no question.

After thinking, we are probably buying a new GM simply because it rides so much more comfortable on the offsets and irregular roads. I still love my Expedition, but it annoys me on how much side to side jostling it offers the passengers on weird road surfaces. I drive a lot of backroads that are rough and it gets frustrating trying not to slam your head into the side windows on real rough sections. My addition of the aftermarket rear sway bar helped this rear sway movement a TON, but its not 100% solved.

Anyway, I just thought this was worth posting and I'm not looking for any bashing comments toward either vehicle as they are both excellent choices.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
My wife is looking at a large SUV, and we almost bought a 2nd Expedition this week. I told her that the new GM stuff was being released real soon and that I wanted to at least drive one to know we weren't making a mistake.
So yesterday we found a 2021 Tahoe High Country to test drive. The suburbans aren't out yet, but we would consider buying the Suburban or Denali XL length.

First off, I'm keeping my 2018 expedition, because I really like it. This would be a second vehicle purchase.

On the test drive, I found very few differences that amounted to much. Both vehicles were very similar, but one thing stood out like a sore thumb, the REAR SUSPENSION. My Expedition with CCD leans horribly left and right on driveway approaches and offsets in the roads. This GM didn't do that AT ALL. I was soooooo impressed, and my wife was blown away.
The 6.2L is LAZYYYYYY. We drove it in town, so we couldn't get it revved to the moon where it makes its power. My 3.5L would smoke it in town, hands down no question.

After thinking, we are probably buying a new GM simply because it rides so much more comfortable on the offsets and irregular roads. I still love my Expedition, but it annoys me on how much side to side jostling it offers the passengers on weird road surfaces. I drive a lot of backroads that are rough and it gets frustrating trying not to slam your head into the side windows on real rough sections. My addition of the aftermarket rear sway bar helped this rear sway movement a TON, but its not 100% solved.

Anyway, I just thought this was worth posting and I'm not looking for any bashing comments toward either vehicle as they are both excellent choices.
Nothing wrong with two expeditions! I own two 2016s!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be more interesting to see what you think after having both for a longer period of time. I don't seem to notice the sway you seem to have. Not sure if I'm just not that picky or if having the xlt with bilstiens just doesn't do it? I am not a fan of chevy but the suburban was at the top of my list before I drove the 2019 expi we bought.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't seem to notice the sway you seem to have.

Ditto to this.

As a previous Suburban owner, I was blown away when I first test drove a Navi with 3.5EB.b While I passed on the Navi ($$$) I ended up with my current '18 Expi XLT and it's ride is luxury vehicle smooth under virtually every circumstance.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing we noticed was how LOUD the 6.2L was. The engine roared and the exhaust roared like crazy behind you. Cool if you are 19 and want to hear that racket, but I don't expect to hear that in an 80K vehicle.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be more interesting to see what you think after having both for a longer period of time. I don't seem to notice the sway you seem to have. Not sure if I'm just not that picky or if having the xlt with bilstiens just doesn't do it? I am not a fan of chevy but the suburban was at the top of my list before I drove the 2019 expi we bought.

I'm guessing you run a bunch of highway. Backroads and angle approaches and off road this Expedition makes you into a Bobble-head. I've hated that from day 1. On the highway it doesn't do that....

Tys expedition

Reaction score
agreed. love the expi. hate the suspension. that being said i just spent two weeks in the top of line armada. not even comparable how much better the expi is in all areas. id be curious how a long term review would pan out. I've always loved the LS im surprised you found it lazy. might be gearing. my expi has 373 and platinum is tuned a little hotter so its always shocked me the power it feels like it has.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have owned 4 expedition
2011 XLT
2013 KING RANCH
2015 LIMITED
2019 XLT MAX Fx4

In 2017 I switched to a Tahoe Premier
The ride was better in the Tahoe than the expedition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
Another thing we noticed was how LOUD the 6.2L was. The engine roared and the exhaust roared like crazy behind you. Cool if you are 19 and want to hear that racket, but I don't expect to hear that in an 80K vehicle.

it’s a v8, what did you expect it to sound like?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
agreed. love the expi. hate the suspension. that being said i just spent two weeks in the top of line armada. not even comparable how much better the expi is in all areas. id be curious how a long term review would pan out. I've always loved the LS im surprised you found it lazy. might be gearing. my expi has 373 and platinum is tuned a little hotter so its always shocked me the power it feels like it has.

It was a tow pack, so it should of had decent gears in it. Not sure, they didn't list the numerical number on the window tag.
The 6.2L was extremely lethargic. It ran good, but around town (under 45), it never could rev to the moon to find its power, so it was laboring at lower rpm and it simply didn't even impress my wife. Her first comment was wow this things noisy but doesn't have as much power as the Expedition.